SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have some 18" Magni's that I am going to put on soon. However, I wanted to check here to see if people can recommend tires for them. The size is 245/40/R18. I would like some really sporty summer tires, not all-weather tourings. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
73 Posts
Correct, it does slightly - as I was researching on the forum it will only be off by a mph or 2. Pretty nominal from what I read... If you want it to be 100% accurate you should be able to re-calibrate with VIDA etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does it really look bad with the correct tire dimensions?
I think it's just personal preference but a lot of people have mentioned (myself included) that the stock sidewall size/low profile tire doesn't fill the wheel well proportionally. In my opinion, the 45's look better and are a little more fitting for the car as it fills the well and the awkward space around the tire is eliminated. Many folks have said that 45s should have been the stock tire dimension... It's a pretty minor detail but an opportunity to improve the look if so desired.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Wouldn't that throw off the speedometer, mpg,'s, etc, etc?
Yeah, by the same ratio increase in tire circumference. Who cares?

I'm running 245/45/18 on both summer and winter sets... never going back to 40 profile!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The difference in circumference is 3.75% which means that when the car reads 60 MPH you'll be doing about 62. Then again I think the speedos are calibrated with some slack so I don't think you'll be doing 62 MPH by GPS measurement anyway which means you wont get caught in speed traps or such. I think you can recalibrate the speedo for other dimensions though, but I'm not sure.

I have venators with stock 40 profile tires and I'm not sure the 45 profile tires benefit the looks really. It looks a tiny bit higher off the ground but they also look more 17" than 18". Though better ride comfort sounds good. Is it noticeably improved, for those of you who run these setups?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi guys,

I have some 18" Magni's that I am going to put on soon. However, I wanted to check here to see if people can recommend tires for them. The size is 245/40/R18. I would like some really sporty summer tires, not all-weather tourings. Any suggestions?
I really like my Continental PureContact tires (225/50R17). I'm sure they can get whatever size in this tire you need (based on your wheels).

·
Registered
11,936 Posts

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Here's one more:

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
A couple more:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts