SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm looking for a winter wheel/tire package for my MY14 s60 t5 AWD. I put together a package that consistently of the following:

(4)17x8 andros spec A silver machined w clear coat. - $104 ea (clearance)

(4)215/50R17 Dunlop winter max - $132 ea

(4)433MHZ TPS - $66 ea

Shipping- $114

All tires/wheels/TPS will be assembled mounted and balanced prior to ship, so I should be receiving 4 new wheels ready to mount right in my driveway .

They also state that the S60 will 'learn' the pressure sensors after sitting 15 min, then driving 10 or more miles over 25 mph. No trip to the dealer necessary.

Total price is $1322 USD

Is this a fair price for what I'm getting?

Do you think they'll be any surprises bolting these on? Or with the TPS programming?

Thanks for any advice!
Loco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Sounds good, I've bought lots from Tirerack over the years, always very happy with what I get.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So I'm looking for a winter wheel/tire package for my MY14 s60 t5 AWD. I put together a package that consistently of the following:

(4)17x8 andros spec A silver machined w clear coat. - $104 ea (clearance)

(4)215/50R17 Dunlop winter max - $132 ea

(4)433MHZ TPS - $66 ea

Shipping- $114

All tires/wheels/TPS will be assembled mounted and balanced prior to ship, so I should be receiving 4 new wheels ready to mount right in my driveway .

They also state that the S60 will 'learn' the pressure sensors after sitting 15 min, then driving 10 or more miles over 25 mph. No trip to the dealer necessary.

Total price is $1322 USD

Is this a fair price for what I'm getting?

Do you think they'll be any surprises bolting these on? Or with the TPS programming?

Thanks for any advice!
Loco

Loco, can I ask what vehicle you have? This sounds like a nice package and you've got my gears turning. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loco, can I ask what vehicle you have? This sounds like a nice package and you've got my gears turning. :)
2014 S60 T5 AWD - I'm thinking better winter traction, no winter wear and tear on the OEM rims.. Should make my OEM set last that much longer

·
Registered
329 Posts
2014 S60 T5 AWD - I'm thinking better winter traction, no winter wear and tear on the OEM rims.. Should make my OEM set last that much longer

I'm thinking about going this same route, but haven't done this before with any car I've owned. I have a '15 with 19-inch Bors and lowered sport suspension. Any reason to think your new setup wouldn't be compatible with my car? Bolts, brakes, anything?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking about going this same route, but haven't done this before with any car I've owned. I have a '15 with 19-inch Bors and lowered sport suspension. Any reason to think your new setup wouldn't be compatible with my car? Bolts, brakes, anything?
Not sure. Tire rack maybe able to answer. They are very knowledgable about fit. I'm going exact size as OEM for both wheels and tires .

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If your car has the 336mm front brakes then they might not fit a 17 inch wheel. Some 17s will fit but some won't.
I think only the T6 AWD get the 336mm front brakes though. You probably have the 316mm brakes instead. But you may want to measure to be sure before you drop the $$$$.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Some or all 16" rims will clear a S60/V60 T5 brakes no problem, unless they got a brake upgrade. I'm trying to sell mine right now for $450. Shameless plug

There was a thread I made on this topic but I can't find it anymore.

Edit: Here's the tire size calculator for you. Seems that if you go 16", 205/60R16 are the best in terms of speed readings.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Why the Dunlops? Do you drive in slush or deep snow a lot? Then I would get a stickier tire. The Sport Max is fine for hard plowed pavement and freeway driving.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Tire rack artificially limits your tire sizes and such for liability reasons, ( I had a long story with them on a Saab 9-3 years ago where they sold me a set of wheels and tires, then refused to sell me replacement tires of the same size 3 years later!) I wanted 235's and they insisted on 225's because the moron assigned to my order couldn't calculate axle loads properly and thought I was going to blow out my tires. It wasn't even close. 3200 lb cars don't overload speed rated name brand 235/18 tires.

To their credit after I complained a manager got involved and offered me the tires I wanted at their cost, since their dummy was wrong. I had already ordered them elsewhere by then. But they are product liability freaks so be aware if you want anything other than "factory" sizes on your rims.

Anyway, for winter tires styles and tires probably don't matter as much. You might try discount tire direct for a similar onine selection and I find they have better prices. They also have local stores here in case there is a problem so you won't get finger pointing between the shop and the internet dealer. They might charge more for the TPMS, I can't remember. I know they mount them free and usually ship them free when buying a set of wheels and tires.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why the Dunlops? Do you drive in slush or deep snow a lot? Then I would get a stickier tire. The Sport Max is fine for hard plowed pavement and freeway driving.
I liked the price of the Dunlops and I have always had good luck and pretty good longevity with the brand on my trucks. I live in massachusetts so, yes I do see quite a bit of slush and snow. I haven't written the Dunlops in stone yet. I'm going to look at other brands.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Tire rack artificially limits your tire sizes and such for liability reasons, ( I had a long story with them on a Saab 9-3 years ago where they sold me a set of wheels and tires, then refused to sell me replacement tires of the same size 3 years later!) I wanted 235's and they insisted on 225's because the moron assigned to my order couldn't calculate axle loads properly and thought I was going to blow out my tires. It wasn't even close. 3200 lb cars don't overload speed rated name brand 235/18 tires.

To their credit after I complained a manager got involved and offered me the tires I wanted at their cost, since their dummy was wrong. I had already ordered them elsewhere by then. But they are product liability freaks so be aware if you want anything other than "factory" sizes on your rims.
When did this happen?

This past spring when I ordered "oversized" tires for my S80 V8 (245/45-18 instead of 245/40-18) all I did was put a note in the comments field of my order and Tirerack sent an extra confirmation email that I replied to and that was that. No issues at all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
When did this happen?

This past spring when I ordered "oversized" tires for my S80 V8 (245/45-18 instead of 245/40-18) all I did was put a note in the comments field of my order and Tirerack sent an extra confirmation email that I replied to and that was that. No issues at all.
Oh, this was 6-7 years back. However, out of curiosity, I went and searched for tires at tirerack for my old Saab 9-3

They still offer only 225mm selections for that car, but you CAN input your own size. It just means they have to manually check the load ratings to make sure they're correct for your car. They will process the sale online, but only after an advisor has signed off on it will you get your tires. In my previous case, the guy tried to say I had overloaded tires, which I did not. He just wanted me to buy more expensive tires.

I say you should be shown approved tires of ALL appropriate sizes for your car. Just like a local shop salesman would do. Because it's helpful to know what could fit w/o doing the calculations yourself. (I know the tire sidewall height formula by heart). The whole idea of ordering online is diminished if you have to wait till business hours and call, wait on hold, then go through all your car and other data yet again with a human being, listen to a sales pitch, speak out your address and card info, it's all painstakingly slow.

The 235's I wound up with were awesome too. Quiet and smooth on the highway, which was what I used that car for. $78 each!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts