SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone says anything I know this isn't the greatest idea but circumstances are pushing gem at the moment.

So after I cracked the rim I just got the rim back. No one in town has any 235/40r18's. I have to drive about 120 miles tommorow for thanksgiving. I put 2 235/45r18's on the back to get it home untill I can get tires that match (found 2 used ones and figured itd be better to pur them on the rear since its normally fwd) Is this going to kill the diffs if I run it this way for the next few days untill I can get new tires?

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,802 Posts
I would not recommend it. The 10 percent difference in sidewall height changes the tire circumference too much. There will be 20+ fewer revolutions per mile with the 45r tire than with the 40r tire. Don't do it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think it will tear it up in 200 miles?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I think it's OK as temporary replacement. I actually drove a couple of days with one used 245 18 on the back while I waited for a tire to come in. I did find it would cause the traction control nanny to kick in if I went around a corner too fast as it saw a difference in the tire rotation. Car won't explode, just take it easy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bob. That was along the lines I was thinking. There should be Play front and rear when it's not transferring power correct?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Can't you just pull a fuse for Haldex and drive in FWD until you get new tires on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts