SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my car two months ago. It's a used 2008. I never got around to checking the tire pressure since i've bought it, until tonight. The fronts were at 44 and the backs at 47 and 48! Did i do any damage to my tires by riding around for 1,500 miles with the tires that overinflated? I dropped them back down to 35.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: tire pressure (iggy637)

Quote, originally posted by iggy637 »
I just bought my car two months ago. It's a used 2008. I never got around to checking the tire pressure since i've bought it, until tonight. The fronts were at 44 and the backs at 47 and 48! Did i do any damage to my tires by riding around for 1,500 miles with the tires that overinflated? I dropped them back down to 35.

If anything the tires would probobly last longer. 47 isn't bad at all. I know the audi guys who have quattro have TOO much traction, so they pump the tires up to 55psi. I usually set mine to 40-45psi because i prefer handling over ride quality.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so increased treadware in the center of the tire probably isn't a concern?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (iggy637)

Quote, originally posted by iggy637 »
so increased treadware in the center of the tire probably isn't a concern?

It's not like the tire, at 45psi would start to have a "bow out" appearance to it.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »

It's not like the tire, at 45psi would start to have a "bow out" appearance to it.
Oh yes it will.
Stay at your 33-35 and they should.
To the OP, didn't your teeth rattling out give you any indication?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Oh yes it will.
Stay at your 33-35 and they should.

My tires still look "deflated" on the sides at low 40's psi. and 33 is way to low. Volvo recommends 36, which I would go higher. Plus, my car is lowered, and the ride isn't bad at all, in fact, it's really comfortable. Plus, if the OP is running a stock tire, they aren't run flats, which makes a difference.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Actually the ride on my car wasn't as bad as you might think. Initial bumps were a little sharper than i thought they should be, but otherwise the car rode pretty well still. It did feel a little darty at like 80 mph on the highway, do you think that may have been the cause?

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I took my other car out to the race track, all the guys recommended pumping the standard road tyres up to 45psi - which I did for years.

Great for the track ... but I left them at 45psi for the road and after 10,000kms they were starting to wear in the centre. So I backed them down to 32psi to even out the wear. A day at the track at 32psi and the wear was even again.

Anyway .. as for the original question ... I would not worry at all. The worst case would be 0.5mm of wear in the centre of the tyre!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The door jamb sticker on our '05 S60 2.5T (with 16" stock wheels) says 32 front and 30 rear, which is where we generally keep 'em.

Is it different for different years/models?
Perhaps it varies by wheel diameter?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm guessing it must be, as i said, my '08 with stock 16" wheels says 35 front and rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.