SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my car two months ago. It's a used 2008. I never got around to checking the tire pressure since i've bought it, until tonight. The fronts were at 44 and the backs at 47 and 48! Did i do any damage to my tires by riding around for 1,500 miles with the tires that overinflated? I dropped them back down to 35.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: tire pressure (iggy637)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>iggy637</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought my car two months ago. It's a used 2008. I never got around to checking the tire pressure since i've bought it, until tonight. The fronts were at 44 and the backs at 47 and 48! Did i do any damage to my tires by riding around for 1,500 miles with the tires that overinflated? I dropped them back down to 35.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>If anything the tires would probobly last longer. 47 isn't bad at all. I know the audi guys who have quattro have TOO much traction, so they pump the tires up to 55psi. I usually set mine to 40-45psi because i prefer handling over ride quality.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so increased treadware in the center of the tire probably isn't a concern?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (iggy637)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>iggy637</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so increased treadware in the center of the tire probably isn't a concern?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It's not like the tire, at 45psi would start to have a "bow out" appearance to it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (cmurphy2266)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>cmurphy2266</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>It's not like the tire, at 45psi would start to have a "bow out" appearance to it.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Oh yes it will.<br>Stay at your 33-35 and they should.<br>To the OP, didn't your teeth rattling out give you any indication?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Re: (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Oh yes it will.<br>Stay at your 33-35 and they should.<br>To the OP, didn't your teeth rattling out give you any indication?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>My tires still look "deflated" on the sides at low 40's psi. and 33 is way to low. Volvo recommends 36, which I would go higher. Plus, my car is lowered, and the ride isn't bad at all, in fact, it's really comfortable. Plus, if the OP is running a stock tire, they aren't run flats, which makes a difference.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>To the OP, didn't your teeth rattling out give you any indication?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Actually the ride on my car wasn't as bad as you might think. Initial bumps were a little sharper than i thought they should be, but otherwise the car rode pretty well still. It did feel a little darty at like 80 mph on the highway, do you think that may have been the cause?

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I took my other car out to the race track, all the guys recommended pumping the standard road tyres up to 45psi - which I did for years.<p>Great for the track ... but I left them at 45psi for the road and after 10,000kms they were starting to wear in the centre. So I backed them down to 32psi to even out the wear. A day at the track at 32psi and the wear was even again.<p>Anyway .. as for the original question ... I would not worry at all. The worst case would be 0.5mm of wear in the centre of the tyre!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The door jamb sticker on our '05 S60 2.5T (with 16" stock wheels) says 32 front and 30 rear, which is where we generally keep 'em.<p>Is it different for different years/models? <br>Perhaps it varies by wheel diameter?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm guessing it must be, as i said, my '08 with stock 16" wheels says 35 front and rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts