SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I just missing it or does this car not show the actual PSI of each tire? In the car status screen it only seems to show green dots at each wheel rather than the PSI.

Pretty ridiculous if that’s all it shows.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
there are 2 types of tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). One that use information from the ABS sensor do not directly measure pressure, so no pressure readout is available. On the US market SPA xc90, the MY2016 had the ability to display pressure. I'm not sure about MY2017; my MY2018 do not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
As satrya hinted at, there are dTPMS and iTPMS systems. Volvo switched to the cheaper iTPMS system.

The benefit of iTPMS is there are no batteries/sensors in the wheels to require replacement or get damaged during tire changes.

The downside of iTPMS is that the car doesn't actually know the air pressure in the tire. Instead, the car counts the rotations of the wheels.
When the car detects a mismatch between two wheels it assumes the diameter has changed as a result of a change of air pressure that wasn't applied to all wheels.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Am I just missing it or does this car not show the actual PSI of each tire? In the car status screen it only seems to show green dots at each wheel rather than the PSI.

I don't know about American cars, but all European manufacturers have been using the ABS / ESP system for many years
Since Volvo has no technical explanation here is this link below, I know individuals will not be happy but I don't care

Text and video explanation :
https://www.audi-technology-portal.de/en/chassis/brakes-wheels/tire-pressure-monitoring-system

There are many interesting technical details and explanations regarding cars available here

·
Registered
128 Posts
I for one, am happy that I do not have to reset sensors on the seasonal tire change. I have had two punctures on my last two cars with the simple TPMS and it gave me enough warning both times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, the simple TPMS can show actual tire pressure. But the benefit of this feature seems to be overwhelmed by many who hate the hassle and expense of the TPMS units. Batteries fail, extra set required for winter tires, sensors must be reset/relearned with tire rotation. You needed special tools, an air compressor and some patience. People just want to drive their cars and TPMS was getting in the way.

·
Registered
101 Posts

I couldn’t agree with you more.
In all the cars I have owned in the past many years, I never had an issue battery or otherwise with batteries on the TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think it's a shame they don't give pressure readings. I've had that in my last 4 vehicles, and one of them is 7 years old with zero issues. It's especially useful during seasonal temperature changes. It's certainly not an expensive item in a supposedly premium vehicle. I have a Jeep Compass economy car with it. I had my heart set on a new XC60, but after spending a few months on this forum, and seeing the de-contenting and corner cutting Volvo is doing, I'm seriously reconsidering this purchase.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think it's a shame they don't give pressure readings. I've had that in my last 4 vehicles, and one of them is 7 years old with zero issues. It's especially useful during seasonal temperature changes. It's certainly not an expensive item in a supposedly premium vehicle. I have a Jeep Compass economy car with it. I had my heart set on a new XC60, but after spending a few months on this forum, and seeing the de-contenting and corner cutting Volvo is doing, I'm seriously reconsidering this purchase.
Most new cars are getting rid of in wheel TPMS sensors and going with ABS based tire monitoring just like volvo. Seems like just a few US manufactures are using them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yes, the simple TPMS can show actual tire pressure. But the benefit of this feature seems to be overwhelmed by many who hate the hassle and expense of the TPMS units. Batteries fail, extra set required for winter tires, sensors must be reset/relearned with tire rotation. You needed special tools, an air compressor and some patience. People just want to drive their cars and TPMS was getting in the way.
I completely agree. Nothing wrong with the current system at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most new cars are getting rid of in wheel TPMS sensors and going with ABS based tire monitoring just like volvo. Seems like just a few US manufactures are using them.
Too bad, nothing like technology going backwards. I find TPMS much more useful than a lot of the other tricks manufactured into vehicles, like the pain in the butt door unlocking and locking handle features that I've disabled.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I completely agree. Nothing wrong with the current system at all.
Hers the scenarios ..,you’re driving down a 12 lane expressway highway and the TPMS indicator goes on. Left rear tire is low. How low is it? Is it just under the threshold, meaning it’s a slow leak, and I may be able to make it to the next exit and pull into a shop for a repair? Or is it at zero, and I should pull over immediately and risk my life in this traffic, or risk the life of the roadside service guy?

Well I’m in my Volvo so I have no idea how low is low. Had I been driving my Kia, I would have known it was a slow leak and been able to drive it into a tire shop for repair. True story, as this happened when I had my Kia.

To argue that it’s too complicated or adds cost is ridiculous when you’re talking about a luxury vehicle that has sensors and cameras for everything, and they cheap out and won’t put sensors in the wheels where they could actually give the driver life-saving information.

Really disappointed that I’ve gone backwards in car tech.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hers the scenarios ..,you’re driving down a 12 lane expressway highway and the TPMS indicator goes on. Left rear tire is low. How low is it? Is it just under the threshold, meaning it’s a slow leak, and I may be able to make it to the next exit and pull into a shop for a repair? Or is it at zero, and I should pull over immediately and risk my life in this traffic, or risk the life of the roadside service guy?
The TPMS system notifies you that you have a problem when there is a difference of 0.2 bar/3psi from that stored in memory

If you think your life is at risk, simply buy a TPMS sensor kit

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The TPMS system notifies you that you have a problem when there is a difference of 0.2 bar/3psi from that stored in memory

If you think your life is at risk, simply buy a TPMS sensor kit
I'm not asking how to do it. I'm stating my opinion that on a $57,000 luxury automobile, for them to remove/or have never included the capability is ludicrous, considering cars much less expensive have it.

And per my example, knowing a particular tire is down 3 psi or 30 psi is a huge difference worth knowing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not asking how to do it. I'm stating my opinion that on a $57,000 luxury automobile, for them to remove/or have never included the capability is ludicrous, considering cars much less expensive have it.

And per my example, knowing a particular tire is down 3 psi or 30 psi is a huge difference worth knowing.
Agreed. I think a company whose main marketing claim is SAFETY should stick with dTPMS so we can see the actual PSI of each wheel (including spare). There are a LOT of things Volvo does that are not the “cheapest” option, so going cheap on a safety-tech seems incredibly off-brand, to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Well I’m in my Volvo so I have no idea how low is low. Had I been driving my Kia, I would have known it was a slow leak and been able to drive it into a tire shop for repair. True story, as this happened when I had my Kia.

To argue that it’s too complicated or adds cost is ridiculous when you’re talking about a luxury vehicle that has sensors and cameras for everything, and they cheap out and won’t put sensors in the wheels where they could actually give the driver life-saving information.

Really disappointed that I’ve gone backwards in car tech.
I think most manufactures see it as an added hassle for owners which is why they are getting away from in wheel tpms sensors. Everyone here gets a good idea of how they work but the majority of people on the road have no clue. They get a tire losing air and throw in fix a flat, slime,etc and ruin the sensors then are out some money on new sensors and programming. Others get destroyed by tire shops or people upset when they rotate their wheels then aren't able to calibrate them at home and need a shop/dealer to do it.

I personally hate in wheel tpms sensors and have pulled them out of every car I have owned which has them because I change tires/wheels often and rotate my wheels often. They are more hassle for me then they are worth. I love the Itpms since if it throws a warning I just check with a manual tire pressure gauge and done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I now have 16 years of experience with in wheel sensors with three different vehicles, and not one single issue. Never had a problem with buying and having new tires installed, or batteries dying in sensors. They automatically adjust when I rotate the tires. This idea that they're too much trouble is totally ludicrous. If their operation is clueless to the majority of drivers, then the majority of drivers shouldn't be on the road. It's not rocket science. The radio in most new vehicles is way more complicated. This is a major fail for "safety conscious" Volvo. This one miss may be the reason I don't buy one. I know that isn't a great loss to anyone else, but that's how I feel. And it surely isn't something I'd go aftermarket with.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Volvo is in pretty good company here with regard to the true setup. BMW had a similar issue (or at least they used to when I had a 3). It's annoying though, I agree.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

Well, I do not expect a car worth $50k to drop parts of the same or the appearance of unknown white spots on the interior lining or leaking oil in the engine after 3k miles, rear doors gather way too much snow/dirt, design flaws, problem with sunroof , cheap Chinese spare tire, poor quality of the key housing...... I experienced it all with Volvo
A special story is the software of engines that have not resolved for 2 years, which made me endanger my life and the lives of my family members

Unfortunately Volvo is a nice car, but has a lot of flaws

I'm selling my XC60, but due to the current situation there are no interested buyers

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My MY16 XC90 has dTPMS. They work great. I don’t care that a battery has to be replaced or whatever maintenance is needed from time to time.

I would definitely miss the dTPMS if I upgraded to a newer model year.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts