SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well winter came early to colorado this year. When I pulled out of the garage in denver we were at 0 degrees this morning. As I plowed north often nearly stopped toward wyoming(drive a good bit for work)...my tire pressure light came on. Of course I realize that it's cold and the pressure will be lower. But I was surprised it would come on during driving at highway speed(ok it was snowing so it was less than hwy speed) since the friction should warm them up... anywho went through an area where it was 10 below and ended up in and area that was 10 above in western Nebraska...Drove 500 miles today. Much of that was on interstate at 70 mph with dry roads, and temps in the single digits in Nebraska where it was "warmer". Through all this interstate travel ,and restarts the light has stayed on.

I was too busy to check the tire pressure it at any point and partly felt like they under-inflation might help with snow grip. I also just plain didn't want to put air in my tires in sub zero weather.

I guess my question is, will it go off on its own if I put air in or it significantly warms up? I plan to put air in in the morning, although Im curious to leave it and continue the science experiment.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,814 Posts
My expereince is that once tire pressure in one or more tires drops to 30 psi or lower the warning light comes on and remains on until the pressure in all tires is at/above 34-35 psi.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There is another thread on here about it. Basically my light came on 2 weeks ago when the temps dropped in the 30s. I checked tire pressure and all 4 were at 35psi. I filled them at first till 37 and light stayed on. Filled again till 40 and drove and light stayed on. Took it to the dealer the other day to finally have it reset. Apparently the way to get it off is to fill it to 45psi. Which I think is pretty outrageous especially for city driving. The car now rattles and feels like a brick. I am not sure if Volvo knows there is an issue with the system but filling tires up to 45psi just to avoid tire light going on is not a solution.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were at 29/30 before I stopped and filled them to 34 yesterday, was too cold and had no quarters to keep putting air in beyond that. But that did the trick and the light shut off.

·
Registered
901 Posts
There is another thread on here about it. Basically my light came on 2 weeks ago when the temps dropped in the 30s. I checked tire pressure and all 4 were at 35psi. I filled them at first till 37 and light stayed on. Filled again till 40 and drove and light stayed on. Took it to the dealer the other day to finally have it reset. Apparently the way to get it off is to fill it to 45psi. Which I think is pretty outrageous especially for city driving. The car now rattles and feels like a brick. I am not sure if Volvo knows there is an issue with the system but filling tires up to 45psi just to avoid tire light going on is not a solution.
I agree that there is an issue and am corresponding with Volvo NA about it. The other thread is:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?216156-TPMS-Hosed-Already

·
Registered
49 Posts
For what its worth, I was at the dealer today and asked them about my TPMS light being on and all four tires at 37psi. They informed me there was a recall and a computer reset required for TPMS.

·
Registered
901 Posts
For what its worth, I was at the dealer today and asked them about my TPMS light being on and all four tires at 37psi. They informed me there was a recall and a computer reset required for TPMS.
Interesting. What year , model, etc. is your car? Please consider adding such info to your swedespeed signature.

·
Registered
260 Posts
TPMS warning came on the other day. I stopped at a tire shop & they checked & filled tires to 35 psi. Warning light would not turn off. I contacted the dealer who said that I should inflate to about 45 psi & then bleed back down to 35-36 psi. He said there is an issue with the TPMS sensors on 2015's & this is the way to shut them. I tried it & it worked.

·
Registered
353 Posts
He said there is an issue with the TPMS sensors on 2015's & this is the way to shut them. I tried it & it worked.
In Canada there is no legal requirement for TPMS, so Volvos sold here do not have TPMS. My salesman says that Volvo chose not to offer them in Canada because they are unreliable.

FWIW, before buying my XC60 I drove cheapo US-made econobox sedans (most recently a 2011Ford Fusion) equipped with TPMS and they worked fine.

Just sayin' ....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts