SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 2011 XC70 T6 this week to add to the stable:

I plan on eventually running separate summer/winter wheels and tires like I do on my R. It came with the stock 18x8 wheels with 235/50/18 tires. I plan to stick with that size for winter.

But for summer, has anyone tried going wider? Like 18x8.5 or 18x9 and running 265/45/18? That would give you near identical rotations per mile (736 vs 740) but I'm wondering if there is enough room for the extra width?

Also, anyone have specs on the offset of the stock wheels?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Those have actually a lot of room under them. Stock offset is right around +40. Ish. You can actually go down to around a +30 with 8.5 inch wheels if you want. That tire size should be easy. Plan to run a +38 or +40 with that size.

There's also a new TPMS system out there that will clone your existing factory TPMS sensors. There's actually a couple of kits, but I'm familiar with the Pilot kit. Shrader also makes one. Find somebody with this system, and you can have cloned sensors in your other wheels so that your car doesn't have to relearn the sensors every time you switch. (Being a volvo, they kind of learn themselves anyway, but this would make it easier and less likely to have some kind of error....)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like where you're going with this—same sidewall height with 13% wider contact patch—but I just checked TireRack and found only three models of tire that come in the 265/45-18 size. Only one, the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, is a summer tire. At $319 per tire. Even if that's an appealing choice for you, the lack of tire inventory is a concern. If you're that keen on tire tuning, then the lower sidewall on the +1 235/45-19 should be acceptable, shouldn't it? Tires for the V70 RD jump down to 40% aspect ratio (245/40-18), so not like you're getting crazy thin. You're not getting a wider contact patch with the 19s, but it should still be a bigger patch. Thing is, there's not a big inventory with the 19s, either, but you do get a couple more choices than the 265s.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mostly want to go wider but not lower profile. Maybe I'll just sneak up to 245/50/18, I'm sure I can deal with the effectively "taller" gearing. Quite a few R folks did something like that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice looking car. One caution I would throw out is I had some tramlining with the stock 245/40-18 that came on my V70 R-Design. Not sure if it was the profile or width but going to 225/50-17 on 7" rims pretty much eliminated it, even on our crap (rutted) roads.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Nice looking car. One caution I would throw out is I had some tramlining with the stock 245/40-18 that came on my V70 R-Design. Not sure if it was the profile or width but going to 225/50-17 on 7" rims pretty much eliminated it, even on our crap (rutted) roads.
I may have missed it in the other thread, but do you feel this changed the handling any? How much were the wheels?

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't notice tramlining on the existing setup... I would think that would normally be caused by the particular tire tread pattern more than width/profile... and only on those rare concrete roads where the texture is cut lengthwise rather than across the road. Anyway 235 or 245/50/18 have a lot more sidewall than 245/40/18.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I may have missed it in the other thread, but do you feel this changed the handling any? How much were the wheels?
Yes, it softened it up a bit due to the higher profile tires - not quite as responsive. Feels like it leans a bit more - all of that is sidewall flex I suppose. However that is compared to the stock R-Design suspension and 40 profile tires. It was worth it to me because ride comfort and steering feel are important to me - others might not like the result.

It cost me roughly $1600 for the second set of tires/wheels - $600 for a mint set of Volvo Balder 17x7 alloys shipped from another member, $250 for TP sensors, and $750 for Michelin Primacy MXM4's. Of course I now have about 80,000 miles of tires to use up between the old and new sets - LOL.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't notice tramlining on the existing setup... I would think that would normally be caused by the particular tire tread pattern more than width/profile... and only on those rare concrete roads where the texture is cut lengthwise rather than across the road. Anyway 235 or 245/50/18 have a lot more sidewall than 245/40/18.
Nope, not the same issue as those concrete grooves that wave around and cause your steering wheel to wiggle a bit - I'm familiar with those from Calif. Those pretty much self-correct. This is a different and more annoying issue.

Here in the Portland area the freeways and surface streets are asphalt and they eventually get deep, wide ruts (3-4" deep) worn into each lane, mostly from studded snow tires (we have ice here). So the tires want to randomly climb in and out of the ruts and the steering pulls this way and that - its quite annoying and could even be dangerous. Wider tires and lower profile make it worse due to the stiffness of the tires and the wheel offset. The improvement between 245/40-18 and 225/50-17 was quite noticeable. It also improved the ride over potholes, which we also have plenty of.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, not the same issue as those concrete grooves that wave around and cause your steering wheel to wiggle a bit - I'm familiar with those from Calif. Those pretty much self-correct. This is a different and more annoying issue.

Here in the Portland area the freeways and surface streets are asphalt and they eventually get deep, wide ruts (3-4" deep) worn into each lane, mostly from studded snow tires (we have ice here). So the tires want to randomly climb in and out of the ruts and the steering pulls this way and that - its quite annoying and could even be dangerous. Wider tires and lower profile make it worse due to the stiffness of the tires and the wheel offset. The improvement between 245/40-18 and 225/50-17 was quite noticeable. It also improved the ride over potholes, which we also have plenty of.
Ahh I know what you mean now - there are very very few roads like that around here so I'm not worried. My R doesn't tramline anywhere around here and so I doubt the XC70 ever would either.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Our X6 has staggered Dunlop Sport Maxx tires (OE, 20") and they've been fantastic in every regard. As a matter of fact we use them year round……

1 - 13 of 13 Posts