SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any probs with "tire noise"? Has anyone found tires that cut down on this without cutting back on performance?

·
Registered
649 Posts
I don't have any suggestions, but can tell you that my OEM 18" Pirelli P6s seem to be getting louder by the month. I now have about 19,000 miles on them, and their performance otherwise has been fairly good. I'll be putting on a new set of winter tires by December, and I wonder if they'll be quieter...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Does anyone have any probs with "tire noise"? Has anyone found tires that cut down on this without cutting back on performance?
You mentioned three years but not the mileage. Are the tire well-worn? Our Michelins on our '08 had about 28K miles on them when we swapped for the '11. I did not notice an increase in noise or performance over time. We didn't 'push' that car but found the performance of the tires to be adequate.

If you're speaking of a harsh-ride rubber-on-pavement sort of noise, it could be the tires are just aging. If the sound isn't consistent, it could be a failure in the laminations or could be a balancing/alignment issue.

In very general terms, a high-mileage tire tends to be a bit harder and noisier, while a 'performance' tire is a touch quieter. Things have changed in the past decade or so, but generally that still holds(BUT, look for reviews on TireRack or others for particulars of newer specialty tires that might be designed for a quieter ride). I had the then-new P6 on my '80 242 GT and they were the grabbiest, quietest tires I had ever owned...AND incredibly difficult to find and pay for when I ripped two sidewalls :( . Things have changed a lot in three decades, but I still like the P6 for grip and ride. The factory Michelins on our '11 C70 seem fine...no complaints on grip(never rains here) or noise...only 17K miles, but no significant wear is visible.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
my 08 c70 with 28k was quite noisy when i bought it. even had it checked out to see if it was the bearings or something -- was planning to get new tires/alignment, but just checked tire pressure and found them inflated to 45psi (it had just come back from the dealer to be checked out). after putting the tires down to 36psi, it was much less noisy. surprised what a difference that made... also road much nicer, wasn't feeling every bump in the road!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had so much tire noise on my old P6's that I replaced them after around 10,000 miles. Using Bridgestone Potenza RE760, so far so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts