SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new XC60 T5 AWD (platinum). It appears to have "Tire Monitor" as opposed to Volvo's previous TPMS (which I had in my 2014 S60). I am now looking at winter/wheel packages, and based on my understanding of how "Tire Monitor" works, I will not need TPMS sensors. Is that accurate? Is this a new system for Volvo? When I took delivery of the car, the dealer noted that one difference from my S60 is that the tire monitoring system will now indicate which tire is low. Reference to Tire Monitor below:

http://support.volvocars.com/en-CA/...5w17&article=c43f9d2decd9952dc0a801513772c990

·
Registered
420 Posts
As discussed in this thread :

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?231189-Indirect-TPMS-on-new-Volvos

Volvo has apparently moved to indirect TPMS on many models in many markets.

Personally I favour the indirect system over the direct system because it does away with the troublesome sensors and transmitters for each tyre. The downside is of course you no longer have actual readout of individual tyre pressures. We have the indirect system on our BMW X3 and has worked. Had a slow leak in one tyre (twice) and the alarm came on when tyre pressure had dropped from the normal 36 psi to 31 psi - ie still well above any danger zone. The system on our 4-year old BMW simply advises that one tyre is low - it doesn't actually identify which tyre it is. I understand the modern indirect TPMS can actually identify the actual tyre. Of course the system is no good if all four tyres develop the same leak at the same time!!!

Tony

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was looking up the TPMS issue on my 2015.5 XC60 T5 prior to purchasing winter wheels and tires. To my knowledge, the XC60's sold in Canada do not have TPMS, which was strange to me because I assumed the vehicle would have TPMS on it, but I checked in my vehicle settings, and there is no TPMS on my vehicle, which I'm actually glad since I won't have to get TPMS on my winter tires or deal with the TPMS warning light (if I got winter tires without the TPMS).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts