SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,123 Posts
Re: Tire help needed AGAIN - Please read (Razor1973)

I agree with another poster here in that turn the problem over to the Volvo dealer. I would just say "I need two new tires for a 2005 Volvo S60R", and let them source them and determine what is "right". They are obligated to use vendors that can source proper spares.

If they are less than the proper load rating, I would insist that the receipt make it clear these are for use on a 2005 S60R.

I do not have my owners manual available right now, but you will read in there that any replacement tire MUST be equal or greater than the original specification.

I agree with BLOT that requirements are being tightened. An excellent summary by the way! I am sure that many have seen tire and wheel combinations that make it clear why these efforts are required.

Trust me you do not want to get cross ways in any litigation with DOT or FORD who as you may recall had no problem throwing Firestone under the bus after a 100 year vendor relationship. Using an under rated tire gets them off the hook, on the VERY REMOTE possibility that there would ever be a problem.

· Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,123 Posts
Re: Tire help needed AGAIN - Please read (Razor1973)

rogersampson, that's what I figured, but my local dealers washed their hands saying the 91Y's were a suitable replacement for the original 95Y's and I may not know much about this, but I do know I don't trust those people's accumen, which is why I came here for the real advise.

It is not a comforting feeling that the dealer experts would recommend an under rated tire be used. Most people would not know better and even if they questioned it would assume the dealer knew what they were talking about. Perhaps by SUITABLE they mean it will fit and it is round, etc.

I wonder if they would also approve of a 91 rated tire on the V70R, which requires a 97 load rating, albeit a 17 inch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.