SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 S60 T6 with factory Polestar tune. I have been having issues with the factory PZERO tires with foam cushioning in them giving me the typical vibration after 70 mph despite trying to balance. I was thinking of upgrading to a High Performance All Season or Summer tire. Just curious if any of you have noticed a handling improvement by doing so or is it minimal? I love the way the car drives, just wish the handling was a tad bid better. Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your vibration issue may not be the tires. I, too, have 70 mph vibration issue with my 2019 S60. I also had the PZERO tires. I upgraded tires to a more sporty tire. I had them balanced twice. Upgraded brakes and rotors. Vibration remains. Just had my 10000 mile service. Service manager said he drove it and it was smooth. I'll be going back soon and take SM for a spin so he can see my hand vibrating on the steering wheel. He can also watch my cell phone dance the hula in my vent mount when I go between 70-80 mph. Also consider this. When I upgraded my tires/wheels I took my OE tires/wheels and put them on wife's 2016 S60. They bolted right on. Her car drives so much nicer with the PZEROs and no vibration.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don't replace the tires just for the vibration. It could be something else. The Volvo dealer diagnosed mine as slightly bent wheels but I'm not sure. I got a set of spare wheels and tires for the summer and use the PZEROs for the winter and the vibration is just not enough to bother me to take them to the wheel guys around here to have them checked and fixed.

Certainly if you upgrade to higher performance tires you can improve handling. Tires are number 1 in that regard! I'm running Bridgestone Potenza S007A in the summer, it's a great improvement in grip and response at the expense of ride a little bit. The PZeros are not bad though for hi-perf all season.

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T6P* Momentum
182 Posts
I have the same issue in my 2019 T6 Momentum with 18". Just got an alignment and the problem is slightly better/less obvious.. The strange thing about it is it's inconsistent! Sometimes it's totally smooth, other times it's noticeable, sometimes it's slight.

Had the stock conti tires and upgraded to Michelin Pilot AS/4 tires

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you do get new tires it’s worth having them “road force balanced” which I have learned isn’t actual balancing but a match mounting technique of the tire to the wheel to minimize the need for excessive weight when balancing. This may help minimizing vibrations.

just my experience it seems some suspension designs are sensitive to slight wheel imbalance, tends to amplify it, the Volvo might be that way. I had good experience with my spare 19s with the summer tires having them road force match mounted and balanced at a good local tire shop that does nothing but wheels and tires.

·
Registered
135 Posts
VIBRATION ISSUE SOLVED!!...At least for me anyway. Had Heico lowering springs installed, alignment and tires/wheels road force balanced/match mounted. Vibration gone. Felt it most at 70+ mph. Now, smooth as a Volvo should be. The match mounting made the difference.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would assume lowering the car did it for ya because an alignment and new tires+rotation did nothing for me.

Kinda good news for me because next up is lowering mine. Too much suspension travel w the dynamic suspension.

This issue seems to be limited to the 2019 MY

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would assume lowering the car did it for ya because an alignment and new tires+rotation did nothing for me.

Kinda good news for me because next up is lowering mine. Too much suspension travel w the dynamic suspension.

This issue seems to be limited to the 2019 MY
I'm pretty sure the answer for me was the road force balancing/match mounting of the tires. Check with your Volvo dealer, they might do it. My dealer road force balanced/match mounted my tires/wheels after installing lowering springs and alignment. It's usually best to do things one at a time so you know for sure what the remedy was. If I could do it over again, I would have the road force balancing/match mounting done first. If that fixes the vibration, then you know the cause. If not try something else. But you can still lower you ride anyway. Mine turned out nice. I didn't do the back yet. When you go to lower your car take note of the spacer under the rear leaf spring. My Inscription has the 30mm spacer. Car is setup mostly for comfort. You can get the spacers anywhere from 30mm down to 6mm. I am going with 21mm spacers. I want some drop to match the front but don't want to sacrifice too much ride comfort. Right now my front is 14" from wheel center to fender lip. The rear is 15". I feel the 21mm is a good compromise between looks and ride comfort. That would be approx 9mm in drop about 3/8". That would make the rear about 5/8" higher than the front. I wish they made a 19mm spacer. I think that would be perfect. The next option down from 21mm is 15mm. That's too much for me. I want a nice balance between sport and comfort and looks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some thoughts on handling:

I hit a huge pothole with my 2020 S60 T5 on NYE. The car instantly drove like crap. Started with balance, then aligned and still handled awful Drove with a lot of "torque steer" it seemed. I turned off collision avoidance and traction control, recalibrated TPMS, etc.

Nothing worked.

Until: I turned collision avoidance back on. And shut the car down. On next start-up, the system check ran, and lo and behold the car handled pretty close to original handling. I have a slight shimmy that I think may be from a tire that hit the hole, but all is pretty good now.

So despite tires, wheels, rotors all being known - don't look past sensor recalibration as something to consider.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Road force balance never solved the issue with my car- they tried it more than a dozen times on different wheels and multiple replacement tires. It got better, but still get shaking at times above 72mph. As the car breaks in the shaking has improved a bit, but still noticeable at times and less so at other times. I’m leaning more towards the springs solving your issue.

My car also shakes with my winter wheels, which are Michelin x-ice’s with OEM S60 18” rims.

What’s a sensor recalibration? Something to do with the lane keeping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Road force balance never solved the issue with my car- they tried it more than a dozen times on different wheels and multiple replacement tires. It got better, but still get shaking at times above 72mph. As the car breaks in the shaking has improved a bit, but still noticeable at times and less so at other times. I’m leaning more towards the springs solving your issue.
My car also shakes with my winter wheels, which are Michelin x-ice’s with OEM S60 18” rims.

If you do get new tires it’s worth having them “road force balanced” which I have learned isn’t actual balancing but a match mounting technique of the tire to the wheel to minimize the need for excessive weight when balancing. This may help minimizing vibrations.

just my experience it seems some suspension designs are sensitive to slight wheel imbalance, tends to amplify it, the Volvo might be that way. I had good experience with my spare 19s with the summer tires having them road force match mounted and balanced at a good local tire shop that does nothing but wheels and tires.
Everyone's situation may be different. But I have to stick with the road force balancing fixing my issue. My current tires/wheels are custom, 19". I didn't really notice the vibration until after I put on the new tires/wheels. I believe what Power 6 had to say about the Volvo suspension possibly being very sensitive to tire/wheel imbalance

·
Registered
135 Posts

Sheesh!! I mucked up my reply. Simpler version. lol
Everyone's situation may be different. But I have to stick with the road force balancing fixing my issue. My current tires/wheels are custom, 19". I didn't really notice the vibration until after I put on the new tires/wheels. I believe what Power 6 had to say about the Volvo suspension possibly being very sensitive to tire/wheel imbalance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Did you have the road force balancing done at the dealer or a tire shop? I’ve been thinking about bringing it to a specialty tire place with a road force balancer to see if I get different results because I’ve only ever had the road force done by the dealership.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you have the road force balancing done at the dealer or a tire shop? I’ve been thinking about bringing it to a specialty tire place with a road force balancer to see if I get different results because I’ve only ever had the road force done by the dealership.

The dealer did the RF balancing. I have gotten to know the master mechanic there pretty well. The SM at the dlr wants only the master mechanic to work on my car when installing these mods mainly because they don't get many Volvo owners doing the mods I am. He wants his best guy working on it. So I have had several conversations with him. I discussed the RF balancing at length with him. I have confidence he truly did RF balancing. The Goodyear tire shop that installed my tires did not have the proper machine to do RF. They actually referred me back to the dlr when I asked about it.

It prolly wouldn't hurt to take your car somewhere else to see if you get better results. Do you have a Discount Tire shop near you? I am pretty sure they do it.
But then again maybe nothing will help. I believe there was a guy, on this forum, who actually got Volvo to take his car back because they could not resolve the vibration issue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Idk if there are any new updates on this thread? I currently have heico lowering springs, aftermarket wheels and tires and my car still has a vibration at highway speeds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2020 S60 T6 with factory Polestar tune. I have been having issues with the factory PZERO tires with foam cushioning in them giving me the typical vibration after 70 mph despite trying to balance. I was thinking of upgrading to a High Performance All Season or Summer tire. Just curious if any of you have noticed a handling improvement by doing so or is it minimal? I love the way the car drives, just wish the handling was a tad bid better. Thanks.
I had a "tire balance" issue for over 1.5 years.. Bought new tires, new rims, everything..

Turned out to be brake pad material on the rotor rubbing up on the pads..

The discovery process:
After a year of shaking e steering wheel I decided to just live with it. ( I highway drive 75km each way to work)

One day I was wand washing my car instead of automatic car wash. That's when I noticed some black pad material on the rotor, one was in the shape of the brake pad.. Decided to do the brake bedding process to clean the rotors)
Noticed right way that steering wheel shake had dramatically decreased..
Decided to just get new rotors.. Shaking has been gone since January..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Idk if there are any new updates on this thread? I currently have heico lowering springs, aftermarket wheels and tires and my car still has a vibration at highway speeds.
Seems like you haven't tried what we've been discussing for the past day or so. At least you didn't mention it. Road force balancing. You should try it if you haven't. One more thing to rule out if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had a "tire balance" issue for over 1.5 years.. Bought new tires, new rims, everything..

Turned out to be brake pad material on the rotor rubbing up on the pads..

The discovery process:
After a year of shaking e steering wheel I decided to just live with it. ( I highway drive 75km each way to work)

One day I was wand washing my car instead of automatic car wash. That's when I noticed some black pad material on the rotor, one was in the shape of the brake pad.. Decided to do the brake bedding process to clean the rotors)
Noticed right way that steering wheel shake had dramatically decreased..
Decided to just get new rotors.. Shaking has been gone since January..
Did it look like this? This is the right rear OEM rotor from my car. Since I had already changed my tires/wheels I was hoping this was the cause of my vibration. Put on new PowerStop pads and rotors. Was still vibrating. But again everyone's situation is different. Glad you got yours solved, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine was on the front rotors and it looked like that and more...
If I hadn't tried to clean the rotors off I would still be driving with shakey wheel..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Agreed that the suspension lowering did it.

I've had my tires balanced 3x over the original and my new ones. No change, also.. if I go over the lane dividing bumps.. it seems to change to either not noticeable or very noticeable. Really unfortunate but fingers crossed that lowering my S60 will solve the problem because it can be annoying when it's really bad

1 - 20 of 40 Posts