SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched through this forum, and it seems like a ton of of us have different tire sizes, and some rub with full wheel lock. I have a 01' V70 2.4T ( No tranny issues:eek:)

I recently finally got myself a set of pegs, and am considering what size tires to get. I did have a set of 17 t5 rims, with 235/45/17. and they rubbed with full wheel lock, on the plastic fender wells. This bothered my wife, to the point she bothered me!

So I used this as an excuse to sell them, and get pegs:D SO now I have a set of 18's, and wonder which of you guys have 18's on your v70's, and what size tire are you running?

I want a tire size that won't rub.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Stock size for Rs is 235/40 R18 as far as I know. That's what I run on my C70 with 18" pegs. On my V70 I run 225/40/18 on Tritons which are a half inch narrower than pegs, and I get very minor rubbing with these.

There are a couple solutions to tire rubbing besides just getting smaller tires. Get 5-10mm wheel spacers, or just put washers under your steering stop, or replace with the R steering stop, or all of the above. If you still have rubbing, adjust the steering stop with washers until it goes away. Lubricate the stop so it doesn't make grindy noises over bumps while at full lock. Also kiss your turning circle goodbye.

Do a search for tire rubbing and you'll see tons of hits mostly in the R forum as the pegs are the worst offender for this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I run 225/40 18" on Ti Pegs with no rub on a '01 V70.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
It also depends on the tire's shoulder. Squareish shoulders more prone to rubbing, whereas rounded shoulders are not. E.g., ExtremeContact DW or DWS have rounded shoulders. Eagle F1 All-Season have square shoulders.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run 225/40 18" on Ti Pegs with no rub on a '01 V70.
That's a pretty narrow tire for the 18's inst it? Is the tire stretched?

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's a pretty narrow tire for the 18's inst it? Is the tire stretched?
I wouldn't say so. I'm not a big fan of that look. I previously had 215/40's on the same wheels for a different car and those weren't stretched either. 8" is only 203mm so I think a 225mm cross section is safe.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Agreed, it's only 10mm narrower than stock at the tread. That's about the width of a pinky finger. But it can mean the difference between rubbing and not rubbing.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I use stock size , whatever that is can't remember off top of head. Put the R stops on. Very slight rub, but haven't got around to adding any washers. not enough to bother me really.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stock R size I believe is 235/45/18

Ive read a lot of the forums here, and others, and it looks like a lot of guys run 225/40/18, and there is no rubbing issue.

I really don't want to have to use the bump stop, as then I am reducing my turning circle.

I don't want to get into the Austin Powers 40 point turn.:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Stock on a R is 235/40 18...

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Certain tires are too wide (brand to brand) A pair of 5 mm spacers on the front wheels cures this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts