SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Boxster S. 2021 s60 T8 Polestar Engineered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a '13 S60 RD. I have noticed feathering of the inside (medial) tread of all 4 tires. The tires are unidirectional tires. Plus, the noise is getting on my nerves. They have a good amount of tread but the noise. Am I suffering from an alignment issue or should I dump these tires for Pilot Sport A/s 3 ?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
How many miles?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Alignment - toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
20000 on the tires. 45 total
Probably alignment. Most places will check for a small fee or free, and waive the charge if you go through with it.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
When was the last alignment?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Will discount tire "f" it up?
They don't align (at least the ones in the Bay Area do not). Just a high volume
dealer that sells and swaps tires :)

I have the Pilot Sport A/s 3 (from Discount). Great tire. But they are wearing very fast.
20K is probably all I will get out of them. Mine are wearing on the outside edges. But, I
do like them enough to buy them again.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The OE tires lasted about 20k before they got noisy. Put PS A/S III's on at 30k when we decided to keep the car. Now at 50k the PS's are still in good shape except the inside edge is feathered and the noise is not good. Put WS80's on for the winter and checked the alignment. The thrust angle was a hair off and the toe was a bit off.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ask for an alignment sheet print out. Then you'll see the before and after and exactly what they have (or haven't!) done.

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Sounds like you are probably due but the feathering and noise with these tires won't be fixed with an alignment unfortunately. If the noise is really annoying you'll need to start all over again and get another set of tires and get it aligned.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
They don't align (at least the ones in the Bay Area do not). Just a high volume
dealer that sells and swaps tires :)

I have the Pilot Sport A/s 3 (from Discount). Great tire. But they are wearing very fast.
20K is probably all I will get out of them. Mine are wearing on the outside edges. But, I
do like them enough to buy them again.
They are warrantied for 45,000 miles. You can probably get 50% back from michelin.

There was actually feathering on both edges. Alignment was good. Switched PS A/S 3. Man, the car is quiet enough for me to hear that annoying sound from the B pillar.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I was thinking of running the PS's backwards next summer. How bad could it be?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Most tire places usually do not have the equipment to align these and will send you to Volvo. Most dealers charge $99 to do it, so it's not like you would save any money going to discount tire or whatever you want to call it anyway.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Take it to Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the Pilot Sport A/S 3. Great tire so far. Significant improvement in handing. Not sure about rain yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts