SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just begun to notice that there is some chopping of the tread on the inside of the rear tires. the front tires appear to be fine and are wearing evenly. I've tried to search around the net about tire/tread chopping, but they all point to multiple issues. Basically it could be from any number or combination of things!

So I thought asking about it here would help me narrow down what the cause could be. Has anyone else had this issue on any of there cars? I have not had the car in for an alignment yet either. I believe that should be my first step to take. Aside from that, I've heard it could be the rear springs, the wheels, the tires them selves, and much more.

I've attach some photo's below. You can see the wear difference quite a bit on the left side, but the right side doesn't appear to be that bad yet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So really i'll need to take it in for an alignment. There is a Kost tire near me that will do an alignment check for free. I'll take it in and see what they say. If there is an alignment issue, will the tread wear evenly once it's fixed? Or will I have to end up buying new tires for the back. I'm sure at what point this current wear on the tires becomes a real problem.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Do you rotate your tires often? Not rotating will show heavy tire wear.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been wondering about the tire rotation. I've read different posts across the net that say volvo doesn't recommend tire rotation. Then I hear from others that i talk to that they get the best life from rotating there tires with every oil change. At this point I thought it would be a bad idea to rotate the tires since the front are still wearing fine. I don't want to screw up the front tires by throwing them on the back, just to see if that fixes the issue :/

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
imo, i feel like what volvo says about tire rotation is just baloney. volvo's suspension is set up really agreesively with heavy toe and camber for better handling and safety. rotating with every oil change might be a good idea. i rotate every 3k miles and the wear i get is on the outside maybe that's due to me auto x and taking highway ramps too fast. do what you think is safer for you. if i were you i replace the rears and put the fronts on the rears and rotate at whatever interval and get that alignment!

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I rotated my tires every 2.5k to prevent this same issue but it was a combination of camber and toe. I think the toe was the biggest culprit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this a pretty well known issue for the s40? or for volvo's in general? I've actually never heard of "tire chopping" until now lol.

Yes my car knowledge is pretty limited....but I am learning more!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
You guys that rotate your tires every other week, how many miles do you get on a set of tires? I got 88,000 on the POS factory Michelins and I NEVER rotated them. I could have run them longer but wanted new tires for winter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You guys that rotate your tires every other week, how many miles do you get on a set of tires? I got 88,000 on the POS factory Michelins and I NEVER rotated them. I could have run them longer but wanted new tires for winter.
This what i've heard from family members, that they have gotten 80k + out of their tires, but that was when they rotated them with every oil change. Honestly I thought my tires were wearing extremely well for the running around I have done across NY state since December last year. Except now I have this issue lol.

Also if I could ask another question in this thread....

What pressure is usually recommended for an s40? I still have the stock 16in wheels and dealer tires. I've read different post that suggest anywhere between 36-40. however my door sticker says 36 all around.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
highway or city?

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I got 30K out of my 225/40/18 yokos but that was before I fixed my camber issue. I'm hoping to get closer to 40K with my new camber (only -.6 rear) and alignment. But again, I'm not running 16" skinny tires.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I got 30K out of my 225/40/18 yokos but that was before I fixed my camber issue. I'm hoping to get closer to 40K with my new camber (only -.6 rear) and alignment. But again, I'm not running 16" skinny tires.
Your tires aren't that much wider, my stock POS Michelins were P205-55R16, I put Bridgestone G019's P205-60R16's back on it. Most of my driving was highway. And I run 35-36 PSI in them.

But Nobody has really answered my question. How many miles of tread life do you get by rotating tires all the time?

The only time I rotate tires is to equalize a wear condition or problem. And I NEVER swap tires side-to-side. I always rotate frt to back so the tire spins the same direction. In the eight yrs I've hung around this forum tire rotation has been discussed at length over a dozen times. And the new Volvo recommendation to NOT rotate tires yields the longest tread wear. Volvo's in business to sell cars, NOT tires like all the companies telling you to rotate your tires. The belts and cord plys in a tire get used to running a certain direction, swappng a tire from side-to-side spins the tire the other direction and the tire takes a while to adjust to that new direction. It flexes and that accelerates wear.

Last FWD car I had I replaced the POS GY all-season tires on just the frt wheels at 62,000 miles, I hadn't rotated the tires ever. I put the same POS GY tires back on. Year or so later when I traded the car the salesman thought I'd just put four new tires on the car because at 80,000 miles the rears showed next to NO wear.

If you're going to drive your car like you're a frustrated F-1 driver you will get short tire life. For me, tires cost WAY too much to waste, I won't say I NEVER accelerate hard, or take turns at more than the posted recommended speeds, or stop hard, but those actions ALL accelerate tire wear tremendously. I don't have enough money to throw new tires on a car every 30,000 miles when I can get 2-3 times the miles from them.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Your tires aren't that much wider, my stock POS Michelins were P205-55R16, I put Bridgestone G019's P205-60R16's back on it. Most of my driving was highway. And I run 35-36 PSI in them.

But Nobody has really answered my question. How many miles of tread life do you get by rotating tires all the time?

The only time I rotate tires is to equalize a wear condition or problem. And I NEVER swap tires side-to-side. I always rotate frt to back so the tire spins the same direction. In the eight yrs I've hung around this forum tire rotation has been discussed at length over a dozen times. And the new Volvo recommendation to NOT rotate tires yields the longest tread wear. Volvo's in business to sell cars, NOT tires like all the companies telling you to rotate your tires. The belts and cord plys in a tire get used to running a certain direction, swappng a tire from side-to-side spins the tire the other direction and the tire takes a while to adjust to that new direction. It flexes and that accelerates wear.

Last FWD car I had I replaced the POS GY all-season tires on just the frt wheels at 62,000 miles, I hadn't rotated the tires ever. I put the same POS GY tires back on. Year or so later when I traded the car the salesman thought I'd just put four new tires on the car because at 80,000 miles the rears showed next to NO wear.

If you're going to drive your car like you're a frustrated F-1 driver you will get short tire life. For me, tires cost WAY too much to waste, I won't say I NEVER accelerate hard, or take turns at more than the posted recommended speeds, or stop hard, but those actions ALL accelerate tire wear tremendously. I don't have enough money to throw new tires on a car every 30,000 miles when I can get 2-3 times the miles from them.
I answered your question- I got 30K out of my set. Not what I wanted by any means, but I had to rotate the tires to avoid the inner edges going to hell in just 15K from the rear camber (and yes, I had an alignment when I bought the tires new).

I hate buying tires all the time as well, but I think when you start stepping up in wheel sizing (past 17"), you lose sidewall height which I think leads to much faster tire wear. I'm not a tire know-it-all, but I can say that without frequent rotating, I would not have been able to get 30K out of my last set of 18" tires. I think most here will agree that anything above 17" will yield poor tread life.

Oh, and I drive like a granny, so my wear isn't because I'm trying to drive like a crazy teenager pumped up on Monster drinks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it's been brought to my attention that the cause of my tire chopping is because of the rear shocks gone bad. Does this sound like it could be the cause? I would like your guys opinion on this. I am going for the alignment check tomorrow, so I will definitely know more then.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So it's been brought to my attention that the cause of my tire chopping is because of the rear shocks gone bad. Does this sound like it could be the cause? I would like your guys opinion on this. I am going for the alignment check tomorrow, so I will definitely know more then.
First, the terminology 'chopping' is incorrect. It looks like what you're experiencing is 'cupping'.

Now, on any other vehicle I would say that the shock causing this could be a high probability, but not for the P1 cars. High levels of negative camber coupled with incorrect toe will tear tires up. That's what happens on the P1 cars. They all have high levels of negative camber (mainly in the rear), and toe is difficult to get and keep set correctly. The shocks on these cars are high quality, so unless you have one that is somehow damaged I wouldn't believe that it is the culprit.

As far as rotating tires is concerned, you would normally want to rotate tires so that they all wear evenly (treadwear). But, if you have one tire that is wearing unevenly and all the rest are wearing normally, then it's probably not the best idea to rotate a good tire into a problem spot. You know what the results will be.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I'm getting at least 40k out of my Pirelli pzero Nero 215 45 18. The only wear I have is on the outer edge. I do mostly highway and 25% city. I also take off ramps fast and do auto x. The only reason I can think of that I have outer wear is that the sidewall is too soft for hard cornering. I normally keep the pressures at least 45 all around and 48 all around for auto x.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts