SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I've been doing my homework (using the Google search and investigating Tirerack, etc.), but am still having trouble narrowing down the options and have some questions about tires as most of the threads/recommendations I've found have been for R/Ultra High Performance Tires, which I don't think I need.

About me and my driving:
I am an average driver (not a performance driver) with mixed driving needs (highway commute, in-town stop-and-go, short/frequent errand trips, long distance drive trips).

While it doesn't snow here, we can get frost and ice on the roads in the winter. And, unless we are in a dry year/drought, the winters are usually wet. So, I am thinking an All-Season/Four Season tire would be good.

Ideally, I'd also like a tire that both looks good and has good durability/longevity.

-----

About my wagon and tires:
It is a 2004 V70 2.5T with ~38,000 miles and Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Tires, P 235/45R17 94V M+S.
On the passenger's side the tire DOT date codes are 2204; on the driver's side the DOT date codes are 1904.

For the past couple months, the front passenger tire has had trouble maintaining air pressure despite regular checks and adding air (optimal is listed as 32 psi, and lately it has been ~27 psi). When checking the tire air pressure today, however, it was ~20 psi and this tire now has very noticeable cracking in the sidewall near the tread. The car's service history prior to my purchase indicates that there was a flat tire repair back in 2006 and I'm wondering if this is the same tire...

-----

My question, would you recommend that I:
1. Replace the two front tires with new Pirelli P6 Four Seasons
2. Replace all four tires with Pirelli P6 Four Seasons as the current tires are almost five years old (and near the "six-year shelf-life" http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html and http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=100523), or
3. Should I move away from Pirelli and replace all four tires with something else?

If you choose, option #3:
Which tire-performance-category should I focus on and what brand/tire combination would you recommend?
Should I stick with a High Performance All-Season, like the current set? Is that best with a turbo wagon?
Or would something else better suit my driving style (Performance All-Season, Grand-Touring All-Season, Standard-Touring All-Season)?

Any other tire advice or recommendations?

------

Thank you for your time! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Take care,
volvie!

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: Tire Advice/Recommendations for 2004 V70 2.5T (volvie!)

The P6 is THE worst Perilli out there.
There are several great tires out there, just throw a dart.
You want a comfy, inexpensive all season performance tire, try a Conti Extreme Contact but be warned if you go with 235/45/17 they have such a wide sidewall, they will rub at or near full lock. You can fix that with 5mm spacers or adjust the steering stops.
Going with a 225/45/17 will solve the rub issue with this tire, bearing in mind they're so wide that a 225 Conti will be close to a 235 Pirelli

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

There's one thing to be aware of regarding all-season tires even if you don't get a lot of snow. They have a different tread compound than winter tires, and when the temperatures get down to three or four degrees above freezing, except for a few makes which I can't remember right now, they get hard and lose grip. This can get especially tricky if the road is wet and it's near freezing, so you may want to consider how many near freezing days you get in your winters. Winter tires have a softer compound so you get better grip with them at low temperatures even without snow or frost/ice on the road, but still have reasonable tread wear up to 45 or 50 F. I don't know how winter tires are marked in the US, but in Canada a true winter tire has a snowflake inside a mountain logo on the sidewalls.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Tire Advice/Recommendations for 2004 V70 2.5T (John2x240)

Hi Everyone,

In case anyone has a similar situation/need, there are also a few responses/updates here:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=114863

Quote, originally posted by John2x240 »
There's one thing to be aware of regarding all-season tires even if you don't get a lot of snow. They have a different tread compound than winter tires, and when the temperatures get down to three or four degrees above freezing, except for a few makes which I can't remember right now, they get hard and lose grip. This can get especially tricky if the road is wet and it's near freezing, so you may want to consider how many near freezing days you get in your winters. Winter tires have a softer compound so you get better grip with them at low temperatures even without snow or frost/ice on the road, but still have reasonable tread wear up to 45 or 50 F. I don't know how winter tires are marked in the US, but in Canada a true winter tire has a snowflake inside a mountain logo on the sidewalls.

Hi John2x240,

Lots of great information there!
I did not know that, so thank you for letting me know! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Take care,
volvie!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Your welcome.
I guess that where you live winter's already over, so there's probably no rush for you to consider what tire to use for winter right now, but come November you may want to investigate a proper winter tire. There's really no such thing as a true "all season" tire except that a few are OK if the temperature's not too cold. There were two discussions about them on two of my other boards which mentioned some newer all season's which were OK for mild winters, so when I get time I'll search out the threads and get their names and manufacturers. Where I live in Eastern Ontario we're only a few hundred miles north of you geographically but a couple of thousand east, and we do get real winters. There's still a lot of drivers around here who think that no-seasons (oops, all-seasons) are OK in the winter ... you can tell who they are as they're usually in the ditch.
We get some at the winter driving schools run by my club, and usually the first thing they do to their cars after the school is go out and buy some proper winter tires as they then realize how dangerous it is not to have decent grip in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: Tire Advice/Recommendations for 2004 V70 2.5T (John2x240)

Volvie, here's one link for you: http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/s...es%22 It's 18 pages long
and I don't have time right now to plow through it all, but somewhere in there they mention the all-seasons that will work if it's not too cold. It's also interesting reading anyway, and you may get a bit of a chuckle from some of the posts. (BTW, my posts have a Welsh flag and a photo of my RX7 in my sig.)

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
From Tirerack, put the General Altimax All Season tires on my S70 and they have been great- good price too! I was in Asheville, NC a few weekends ago and thought I would get stuck there w/ snow and ice but was able to get home through the mt. roads without even a hiccup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.