SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a xc90 T5 FWD and have 11 months left on my lease and I swapped the 18" OEM wheels that came with it out for the 20" OEM R Design Wheels. I have just about enough tread left on the 18 inch tires to return the lease with sufficient tread on them so I don't want to put those back on. However I need tires for the 20" wheels. I don't really feel like spending big bucks on tires to use them for just 8-11 months depending if I get out of the lease early etc.

My question is has anyone had any experience with these cheaper brand tires like Kuhmo , Nankang , Ohtsu etc and are they safe and reliable ? What about used tires ? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Can’t speak about the other brands you mentioned, but kumho was always solid mid-budget tire company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Me too on Kumho. Decent mid price tires. Had those on an old Toyota RAV4 and really could not complain.

Nothing on Nankang.

Ohtsu: parent brand of the sportier Falken series of street tires. Used Falkens on two different cars in the past and I have been happy with them. Not Michelin quality but I also paid a whole lot less.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don’t think anyone here will recommend tire that is so low on budget it compromises safety. I understand it’s only 11 months but a lot can happen in those months. Tire is the only thing connecting you to the road and in some tests the difference in wet braking between budget and midrange known tire could be 15-30 feet. If you can find review for that tire with some test results that are satisfactory to you-go fo it. Well known brands do spend more money on rubber compound development and it reflects in the price of the tire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t think anyone here will recommend tire that is so low on budget it compromises safety. I understand it’s only 11 months but a lot can happen in those months. Tire is the only thing connecting you to the road and in some tests the difference in wet braking between budget and midrange known tire could be 15-30 feet. If you can find review for that tire with some test results that are satisfactory to you-go fo it. Well known brands do spend more money on rubber compound development and it reflects in the price of the tire.

I thought Cooper was a midrange tire , what is considered budget compared to midrange?

·
Registered
151 Posts
While I never would have thought to try them, my CPO came with Walmart tires. They're less than half the cost of name brand and actually perform well in Southern California with good rain performance and low noise. I had them up in the mountains and everything was predictable in mild slush after a light snow. I originally assumed that they were a European brand that I hadn't heard of and was surprised to out that they were cheap tires. I have 21" rims, so getting tires for the 20" shouldn't be a problem. I'm debating going with Michelin or just replacing with the cheapies on the car now.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Cooper can be as well great tire. They have been in the business long enough and I’m not bashing them. I have not found any tests for them in the past as they never had the size I needed for my application.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don’t skimp on tires. Tires affect all aspects of a car’s performance (acceleration, noise, braking distance, cornering, mileage, etc.).

Another option: get good brand used tires with 50-70% tread on eBay or local tire shop. Many people swap out 2 or all 4 when there’s an issue with just 1 tire... you should be able to find two good pairs for the front and the back without too much hassle.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Looking at 275/45-20 COOPER DISCOVERER H/T PLUS 45R R20 , any feedback?
That tire has 460 A B utqg rating. I would not consider that tire at all if I was searching. Go for A A or AA A rating. Maybe hankook ventus st (same price range) Goodyear eagle gt(not fond of the tread design)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Put Michelin Premier LTX on my XC60. Excellent all around tire. Fantastic here in Florida with all the rain. Very quiet also. Rated 800 I believe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don’t skimp on tires. Tires affect all aspects of a car’s performance (acceleration, noise, braking distance, cornering, mileage, etc.).

Another option: get good brand used tires with 50-70% tread on eBay or local tire shop. Many people swap out 2 or all 4 when there’s an issue with just 1 tire... you should be able to find two good pairs for the front and the back without too much hassle.

I have heard about bad tires being sold this way ( defective / dry rotted / expired etc etc ) that was my concern with that.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I don’t think anyone here will recommend tire that is so low on budget it compromises safety. I understand it’s only 11 months but a lot can happen in those months. Tire is the only thing connecting you to the road and in some tests the difference in wet braking between budget and midrange known tire could be 15-30 feet.
I never ever EVER NEVER recommend "budget" tires on a new SPA. I have seen coopers and "roll goods" (whatever chinese junk tire you can imagine) on new XC90's and it should be illegal. The amount of road noise, crappy wet performance with braking and acceleration, its a big NO!!!! You spend big money to have a swedish luxury vehicle and you ruin the ride noise and quality on being cheap with tires?

The ONLY tires I could recommend for the SPA vehicle would be Continental or Michelin. Pirelli are junk.

PS... you will not get out of your lease early unless you are doing the 9 month buy ahead (if they're still doing it). It changes month to month.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never ever EVER NEVER recommend "budget" tires on a new SPA. I have seen coopers and "roll goods" (whatever chinese junk tire you can imagine) on new XC90's and it should be illegal. The amount of road noise, crappy wet performance with braking and acceleration, its a big NO!!!! You spend big money to have a swedish luxury vehicle and you ruin the ride noise and quality on being cheap with tires?

The ONLY tires I could recommend for the SPA vehicle would be Continental or Michelin. Pirelli are junk.

PS... you will not get out of your lease early unless you are doing the 9 month buy ahead (if they're still doing it). It changes month to month.

I can get out of the lease if I choose to pay the remaining payments that the pull ahead doesn't cover. It's between 6 and 9 months depending on the model . Right now the xc90 is 6 months. This is a Swedish lux vehicle and I have two of them. However the 2017 is prone to rattles and noises and the 2018 is silent. So the road noise wont really ruin the experience more than the poor build already has.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do the walmart thing for less than 500 bucks... I was planning on changing them out straight away but I forgot. It has been 12,000 trouble / noise free miles. They only look for tread depth when turning it in.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I can get out of the lease if I choose to pay the remaining payments that the pull ahead doesn't cover. It's between 6 and 9 months depending on the model . Right now the xc90 is 6 months. This is a Swedish lux vehicle and I have two of them. However the 2017 is prone to rattles and noises and the 2018 is silent. So the road noise wont really ruin the experience more than the poor build already has.
I have yet to see a 2017 SPA with rattles or noises that wasnt easily fixable with a TJ.

Market may vary and the way you treat your car may vary.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Cooper, falken, Kumho, are good tyers in my experience. I’ve used them in extremely hot conditions(150 F+) on relatively high speeds (100+mph) for long distances (100miles+ on one shot )
For many years and miles. About 3 years or so on each set for at least 25000miles

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That tire has 460 A B utqg rating. I would not consider that tire at all if I was searching. Go for A A or AA A rating. Maybe hankook ventus st (same price range) Goodyear eagle gt(not fond of the tread design)
When you say AA A you mean
Traction AA
Temperature A
???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Search for “Take Off” tires on eBay. People replace tires off of new cars all the time - right off the lot. You’ll probably find OEM XC90 tires out there....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts