SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have been following this forum for quite some time and I find it VERY useful, so thanks everyone.

Growing up with a 1982 240 GL as a kid, 30 years later I pulled the trigger on a 2013 S60 R-DESIGN, I'm expecting delivery anytime soon. I have a question with regards to tips driving a new vehicle. Lots of my friends recommend not to travel for a long distance and not use the cruise control, they said its better to do some city driving for the first 500 miles or so for the engine to settle. Also, they recommended changing the oil for the first time @ 2000 miles to get rid of the debris in the new engine.

Please give me your thoughts on that ... thanks

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Which dealer you getting the car from? Join our Canada thread! :)

Just break it up and don't give the engine too much load. Accelerate smoothly unless you absolutely have to gun it. I went on the highway during my break in procedure, never going past 3000 RPM. As long as you keep the revs relatively low, you're fine imo.

Yes do an oil change at 5000km if you want. I did one, but didn't need to.

·
Registered
780 Posts
According to my dealer, the S60 doesn't need any engine braking...

I however, would be a bit careful in your first few miles. IMO, one of the key points is to wait to put any high load on the engine until it warms up (which is a bit unfortunate for us since we're missing a temp gauge). This is true for any car, but especially important for a brand new one.
I don't really see the point of not going past a certain RPM while in breaking in the engine. From all the documentation that I did, they actually suggest to *put* load on the engine (not jamming in the accelerator suddenly though) *after* it has warmed up.
You should avoid excessive idling and going at a fixed rpm for a long period of time (like driving on a highway for a long time).

I also took a bit from this guy How to properly break in the engine when breaking in my T6.
I put load on the engine (but not excessive), avoided excesive engine braking and changed the oil at 7500km. I currently have almost 20k miles and the engine is as alive as ever and hasn't ever needed topping out oil (Changed the oil at 7500km, 15.000km and now 30.000km)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the information. @geokilla, I most certainly join the Canada thread, I got the car from volvo st.laurent in Ottawa. @stormlv, the link you posted was a very interesting read.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wouldn't worry so much about acceleration limits and the like. For one, we've come a long way in oils and the hardiness of new engines (IMO). And second, test drives are often full acceleration at some point. Not in your case but anyone who bought a car off the lot is likley driving one that was flogged by another prospective driver. But you're right, easy is good. However, did own a car that specifically said temporary full throttle operation in the first 1000 miles was recommended. Enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also read somewhere that usually big car manufacturers (VOLVO, BMW, AUDI etc ...) do some break-in to the engine before the car is released for delivery, doesnt make much sense to me but I have seen that in many other forums, so not sure if its true or not.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
According to my dealer, the S60 doesn't need any engine braking...

I however, would be a bit careful in your first few miles. IMO, one of the key points is to wait to put any high load on the engine until it warms up (which is a bit unfortunate for us since we're missing a temp gauge). This is true for any car, but especially important for a brand new one.
I purchased an OBD reader in order to get an engine temperature gauge. I ended up with the Garmin EcoHD because it would use my Garmin portable-nav as the display.

The MY12 S60 manual does not mention engine break-in at all (first car I've had that does not). I discussed it with Marcus at FDC and was told to just go out and drive. I took it a bit easy until hitting the Autobahn.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It's a 2013 Volvo. Just drive it. It will be fine as long as you don't race the engine when it's cold or immediately before shutting it down, and that applies regardless of how new the car is.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No need to change oil early. Volvos don't use break in oil.

Just drive it but don't push it. Let the car get warmed up to operating temp before driving.

Otherwise enjoy it. eh

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really cant wait to pick it up, the shipment website already says "DELIVERED FROM" Halifax, NS. So, I'm assuming i should get it next week at the latest :)

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Some manufacturers tell you that you should not change the original oil until the first regular change because of additives that help with break-in - not sure about Volvo.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
You shouldn't change the original oil until the first regular change because it's a waste of money and studies tend to show it doesn't matter, but a lot of people do it anyway for peace of mind. $30 isn't much to pay for peace of mind when you just invested over $30,000 and as much as $50,000 on something. :)

I'd never heard this additives thing, though. That's interesting and worth considering. I suspect Volvo doesn't use any, however.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My dealer changed the oil when they got it. Used the same stuff they changed it with during my 7,500 mile service.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with what Stormlv said - the engine needs to do some work, it shouldn't be treated like it's made of glass but you shouldn't rip the guts out of it either.

The crucial thing is to get a good gas-sealing, mating surface between the piston rings and the cylinder bores, and that can only happen when the engine is under a decent load. And it's best to do this when the engine is in its first 30 minutes or so of running from new.

With my last 4 new cars, I've always driven the long way home, and after about 10 miles from picking it up at the dealer (to make sure everything is nicely warm), I accelerate firmly from around 40mph up to about 65mph. Not full throttle, but about half throttle, in 4th gear. Then back off, let the car drop back to about 40mph, then half throttle back to 65mph, and so on until I've done the cycle 5 times.

None of the cars I've run in this way ever used a drop of oil between changes (12,000 mile intervals in the UK) and all performed great.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thing is, why doesn't the VOLVO owners manual say anything about the break-in period. 2013 Audi's and BMW's have new vehicle break-in instructions.

·
Registered
13,481 Posts
Probably because they feel break-in isn't needed any longer. That said, old habits die hard, especially for us who have been driving for north of 30 years.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Volvo doesn't say anything because they do a quality test drive of each vehicle after it comes off the assembly line. It goes over a special course with weird bumps and other things to simulate harsh driving conditions and break-in/test the suspension, for creaks, etc. That's the only break-in these engines need.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I don't care what anyone says, I would at least just take it a bit easy for 5-800 miles
Just drive it normally, no redlining it and no full throttle runs and no panic stops
It's your car and you can do what you want, but this has worked for me over the years on countless numbers of new cars that I've bought in my lifetime

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Volvo doesn't say anything because they do a quality test drive of each vehicle after it comes off the assembly line. It goes over a special course with weird bumps and other things to simulate harsh driving conditions and break-in/test the suspension, for creaks, etc. That's the only break-in these engines need.
Almost every higher end manufacturer does this

1 - 20 of 28 Posts