SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any pointers on cleaning the exhaust tips? Mine are all darkened from the exhaust. Don’t really want to use steel wool or anything abrasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have any pointers on cleaning the exhaust tips? Mine are all darkened from the exhaust. Don’t really want to use steel wool or anything abrasive.

I've had pretty good success using an acid based wheel cleaner and a soft bristled brush. I use Meguiar's Wheel Brightner. Definitely takes multiple applications if they haven't been cleaned in a while, but it does leave the chrome on the tips nice and shiny.

I'd love to find a quicker and better alternative though.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Typically I use Windex + #0000 Steel Wool on tough/stubborn exhaust soot on tips, but you can also use/follow up with Adams Polishes Metal #1 & #2 metal cleaners with a microfiber rag should also do the trick. Chemical Guys also has a metal cleaner that works well.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Someone on SS recommended a product called Barkeepers Friend. I was skeptical but purchased some online. All I can say is WOW! This stuff is amazing. It cuts through the exhaust soot like a hot knife through butter and leaves a clean shinny finish. Up to this point I had tried all kinds of cleaning products but many required too much elbow grease and didn't do a very good job. But this stuff does and is worth every penny. Give it a try and you will be amazed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Someone on SS recommended a product called Barkeepers Friend. I was skeptical but purchased some online. All I can say is WOW! This stuff is amazing. It cuts through the exhaust soot like a hot knife through butter and leaves a clean shinny finish. Up to this point I had tried all kinds of cleaning products but many required too much elbow grease and didn't do a very good job. But this stuff does and is worth every penny. Give it a try and you will be amazed.
I use that stuff on my stainless steel pans. Before I found out about that stuff I hated cleaning anything in stainless. Never thought about using it on the exhaust tips but I'll def try that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I use that stuff on my stainless steel pans. Before I found out about that stuff I hated cleaning anything in stainless. Never thought about using it on the exhaust tips but I'll def try that.
Great tip! I was also thinking about the Borla exhaust cleaner that people rave about, but I already have Barkeepers friend at home for stainless pans. I have both the power and liquid. Any preference?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've only used the powder which has worked really well. I bought it at Williams Sonoma and the woman there said the liquid doesn't work as well so I never tried it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My experience has only been with the liquid version. A little bit goes a long way.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The older the inscription XC90s get, the more I am glad to have a momentum with all chrome deleted. Most Inscription exhaust tips are really beat up looking

·
Registered
169 Posts
Soap & water, followed up with mothers chrome polish and opti-coat it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used paint thinner and a white 3M abrasive pad. No scratching. Takes a little while if I haven't cleaned them in awhile, but works well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts