SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an oily(?) film on the inside of my windshield, and it's probably on all the interior glass surfaces, but I just don't see it as much on the sides and rear.

Is there a good way to remove it? I've only tried to once, about 2 months ago, and I did so with Windex on a paper towel, but it left streaks. The streaks were worse than the film! They were in the pattern of how I rubbed, you know, left-right streaks in some places, up-down ones in others, and swirly semi-circles. Grrrr....

The glare in the mornings and evenings (I go straight toward the sun on both commutes) is getting unbearable! Any tips for removing that oily film without leaving streaks?

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I noticed that when I cleaned my windows when they were very dirty that I had to clean them all once and then go over them all again after it was all dry. The second wave got them all clean with no streaks using Windex. Also paper towels seem to leave an extra nice trail of little tiny paper follicles. You might try an old t-shirt, or clean rag, or newspaper.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I get that too on my windshield too from the vents. Seems to blow moisture or something on the inside. I use an old clean t-shirt (like Kaizai mentioned) and a bucket of water and a tiny bit of dishsoap detergent. Doesn't seem to streak as badly as windex in my experience. I use water only on all tinted surfaces.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Lisa62:
There is an oily(?) film on the inside of my windshield, and it's probably on all the interior glass surfaces, but I just don't see it as much on the sides and rear.

Is there a good way to remove it? I've only tried to once, about 2 months ago, and I did so with Windex on a paper towel, but it left streaks. The streaks were worse than the film! They were in the pattern of how I rubbed, you know, left-right streaks in some places, up-down ones in others, and swirly semi-circles. Grrrr....

The glare in the mornings and evenings (I go straight toward the sun on both commutes) is getting unbearable! Any tips for removing that oily film without leaving streaks?
its a good sign.. it says your leather is still alive and moist :p of course you still have to put conditioner on your leather. but thats what causes the film. or if you dont have leather.. its probably from your dash or other stuff in the car that needs conditioner. when your car gets hot.. the moisture attatches itself to the window inside. plus also its from your breathing too. hehe

anyhow.. i have had good luck with 409 window/glass cleaner. then after you are done with that.. go over it again with water and a terry cloth towel.
Good luck

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I tried the Windex-on-an-old-T-shirt trick and it worked, but only somewhat. The film was gone, but then the shiny streaks appeared. I went over the those with a plain old McDonald's napkin (because that's all I had with me once I was on the road), and VOILA!!!

For some reason the napkin worked wonders on those shiny streaks. Sure, the Windex-n-T-shirt took off the oily film, but it left streaks. The napkin removed those. Soooo... I guess I'll try the two-step process next time. And load up on those magical McD's napkins, too. Ha ha ha.

But really, I'll try a damp (or dry?!) terry cloth towel after Windexing it, too. That ought to have the same effect as the napkin did. Thanks for the tips, folks.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Lisa62:
Well, I tried the Windex-on-an-old-T-shirt trick and it worked, but only somewhat. The film was gone, but then the shiny streaks appeared. I went over the those with a plain old McDonald's napkin (because that's all I had with me once I was on the road), and VOILA!!!

For some reason the napkin worked wonders on those shiny streaks. Sure, the Windex-n-T-shirt took off the oily film, but it left streaks. The napkin removed those. Soooo... I guess I'll try the two-step process next time. And load up on those magical McD's napkins, too. Ha ha ha.

But really, I'll try a damp (or dry?!) terry cloth towel after Windexing it, too. That ought to have the same effect as the napkin did. Thanks for the tips, folks.
the napkin is like newspaper
paper towels work great on windows.. but gets costly if you use them constantly as you cant REuse the towels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts