SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an air hose pop loose that caused a check engine light to come on. Reset the check engine light and have driven it nearly 1,000 miles with varied city/highway driving and the tester I plug into the OBD port is still not giving me a green light. I know it can take a while, but this seems excessive. Is there a specific driving pattern that will speed up the process? The check engine light has not reappeared since the reset and the car drives perfectly fine.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You are allowed TWO "not readies"

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Start with the vehicle cool, below 122 degrees F.
Turn off the air conditioning.
Select a location where the driving can be done without violating traffic laws and you can stop safely at the side of the road.

1. Start the engine and accelerate to approximately 1500-2000 rpm.
2. Drive for 6 minutes at 1500-2000 rpm.
3. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 70 seconds.
4. Accelerate to at least 45mph and drive for 5 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm.
5. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds.
6. Accelerate to at least 45 mph and drive for 4 minutes at 1800-2200 rpm.
7. Stop the vehicle and remain at idle in drive for 60 seconds.
8. Park the vehicle and turn off the engine.

This procedure must be performed TWICE from a cold start to set the readiness codes.

·
Registered
385 Posts
For California, the 98 70 has an exception from CARB for readiness. Your smog guy can look it up on the state website.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You need to read the actual readiness status one by one not just "plug it in".
Most higher end scanners have this feature, and as I said, you are allowed two (2) not readies all over the country, perhaps none in CA as was stated above!
You're probably good to go

·
Registered
137 Posts
As mentioned above, for the SMOG check, the IM readiness is NOT required, as it is "difficult to complete" per Appendix J of the Smog check reference manual. The smog check computer is set to ignore it. This applies to all 96-98 Volvo models in California. I've had a broken charcoal canister hose once which triggered a CEL. I wasn't able to fix it in time for the SMOG check, so I used my OBDII reader and cleared it right before I drove into the station. The car passed with no issues!

Here is the reference manual:
https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Check_OBD_Reference_Guide.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts