SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: Tinting/Smoking the taillights (cicatrizdare)

my fault....I see. I know that they sell a spray-on transparent paint at hobby shops, it comes in all different color and shades of smoke. Many of the import guys just spray this stuff on, some open the tails and spray the inside while some just spray it on the outside.

If you want it done to perfection I would just remove the tails and have a body shop shoot it with a transparent smoke paint and hit it with a few layers of clear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
lol - what did you think the point of this post was

I've seen it many times where the clear wasnt applied ( or enough) and it didnt match the paint shine. I would just make sure it shined like the rest of the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: (cicatrizdare)

Buy tailight tint (film) at Lamin-X.com. Go to showcase at the top and scroll down you will see a pic of my car on there. Here is what my ride looks like with the tint.....

Its easy and cost about $50.00 for both. You can also wax right over it like your car paint so its nice and glossy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Tinting/Smoking the taillights (cicatrizdare)

Keep in mind that if you do it, you will not have as bright the lights as you have right now. And in effect, dont end up shouting that "someone just hit me from behind..."

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: Tinting/Smoking the taillights (tomi22)

In CA....26101 VC makes that illegal. (Can't modify lighting equipment) 24600e can also come into play. (Tail lamps must me clearly visible from 1000 feet away)

I'm not trying to put a damper on the fun, but just trying to avoid someone getting a ticket.

Tim

Modified by t6tim at 1:38 PM 3-24-2006

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Tinting/Smoking the taillights (t6tim)

My spoiler isn't ugly!
I bought the spoiler on ebay. Its the bmw m3 lip spoiler. I had it painted at a body shop.

The light emitted from the tails isnt much darker at all. Its very visible during the day and at night. I'm not sure about anywhere else but in Texas if you get hit from behind it doesn't matter what the circumstances are the person that hit you is at fault. They obviously were following too close behind you to have hit you. Its not like your tailights are just completly out they are still very bright!

I cant remember the size I ordered now its been so long. Use a flexible measuring tape (sewing measuring tape) and order a few inches bigger. The film is nice cause you have a long time to work with it and you can remove it and start over if you mess up. Around the sharp curves you will have to heat it up with a blow dryer, which is why you want extra so you will have room to stretch it. There will be small bumps at first but the film cures in the sun and about 24 hrs later you have perfect silky smooth tinited lights.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Re: (VolvoS40T5boy)

I really like those tail lights; it's something I think I would enjoy on my own car. I have a feeling it would look especially good on a black car. Also, I'm really diggin your spoiler http://********************/smile/emthup.gif .

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm just wondering, cause i did the same with the tint film but found that the white reverse area came out a sickly yellow shade. Maybe cause my ride was black, and it did look weird, but I ripped mine off after a month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts