SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have knowledge, personal or technical, on the aspects of having a panoramic sun roof tinted? It is very hot in the part of Florida where we live, and the sun roof curtain seems to let quite a bit of heat into the vehicle.

Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my sunroof tinted w Llumar’s ceramic tint when I tinted my windows. I live in the Midwest but can feel the difference on hot sunny days. Would get it again on a future vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes. I had 80% clear (light blue) ceramic tint put on the sunroof. I feel like I should have gone with 60%, but at 80% I notice a difference, especially driving.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I had my sunroof tinted w Llumar’s ceramic tint when I tinted my windows. I live in the Midwest but can feel the difference on hot sunny days. Would get it again on a future vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 - Llumar’s ceramic tint. Makes a huge difference on the sunroof! Another option is Huper Optik nanoceramic tint. Its a great product, just pricey.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If you're not sure how dark you'd like the tint to be, you can try one of those static cling DIY tints first. After driving with it for a while, you may decide to go with permanent tint that is either lighter or darker.

I use static cling on the moonroof glass because in winter, I rather not have it on. With static cling, you can re-apply again whenever the season is right. One time, we drove in a scenic but dark area around giant redwoods, and all it took was to peel the static cling off and stow the roll somewhere to enjoy the view overhead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for all of the feedback. I want to reduce the amount of heat that gets through into the cabin and reduce the UV exposure.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I haven't felt the need to tint the sunroof on my 1st generation XC60. There is not a noticeable amount of radiant heat transmitted through the OEM glass even in our fine Arizona summers.

I did, however, have a clear UV tint applied to the front windshield which does seem to help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Many thanks for all of the feedback. I want to reduce the amount of heat that gets through into the cabin and reduce the UV exposure.
For the UV, especially if the weather is so hot, you may just use the shade and everything is blocked away. Once I was told by a tint fitter that using film on your sunroof is not a good idea cause the glass being so vertical to the sun can cause extreme heat stress and crack. Not sure about it but worth keeping it in mind.

·
Registered
306 Posts
For the UV, especially if the weather is so hot, you may just use the shade and everything is blocked away. Once I was told by a tint fitter that using film on your sunroof is not a good idea cause the glass being so vertical to the sun can cause extreme heat stress and crack. Not sure about it but worth keeping it in mind.
I just had the driver and passenger doors as well as the top 6" of the windshield. Installer was the owner. He was taught never to do the moon roof of any vehicle. The glass is too rigid, as well as vertical and could crack due to extreme heat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just had the driver and passenger doors as well as the top 6" of the windshield. Installer was the owner. He was taught never to do the moon roof of any vehicle. The glass is too rigid, as well as vertical and could crack due to extreme heat.
I find it hard to believe that it is not recommended to tint roof glass.

You do realize most roof glass is made with huge black borders that probably retain more heat than any clear tint ever would.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you think that the threat of thermal cracking is only with aftermarket tinting applications? In addition to my XC60 having a tinted pano, my 2014 Acura RDX has a tinted factory moon roof with darker tinting that the rear passenger windows.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I find it hard to believe that it is not recommended to tint roof glass.

You do realize most roof glass is made with huge black borders that probably retain more heat than any clear tint ever would.
He said "The moon roof was too rigid and does not have room to expand due to the heat".

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you think that the threat of thermal cracking is only with aftermarket tinting applications? In addition to my XC60 having a tinted pano, my 2014 Acura RDX has a tinted factory moon roof with darker tinting that the rear passenger windows.
No, I don't think there is any threat of thermal cracking with aftermarket tinting applications.
The tint film may begin bubbling after 15 or so years but that's about it.

He said "The moon roof was too rigid and does not have room to expand due to the heat".
There are tens, if not hundreds of thousands of cars with moon roofs and pano roofs.
If there was a cracking problem where it could not expand due to heat, I'm sure automobile manufacturers would stop offering it on their cars.
And being too rigid has nothing to do with tint film.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You can tint a sunroof no problem. Glass will never expand that much to crack or shatter it. Tint does not add to this. The only time youll ever see glass crack/shatter due to temp changes is if there is an existing crack or chip that can spread from slight expansion.

·
Registered
2020 S60 T6
26 Posts
I know I'm responding to an old thread but if the sunshade is closed and there is no visible light entering the cabin than you and your vehicle are protected from UV exposure. I have a S60 with a tinted sunroof and even mid day there is no visible light entering the cabin when the sunshade is closed.

·
Registered
2020 S60 T6
26 Posts
Yes. I had 80% clear (light blue) ceramic tint put on the sunroof. I feel like I should have gone with 60%, but at 80% I notice a difference, especially driving.
The Llumar air 80? I had that tint on my Audi A6 but with it the tint being so light I am worried it wouldn't be dark enough for the sun roof. The Sunscreen in my 2020 S60 is much thinner than I previously thought and is letting more sun in than I'd like. I love the light blue color of the Air 80 though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts