SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the % of tint on the side/rear windows? Wanting to have driver and passenger doors done to match, and want to make sure its a perfect match.

Thanks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Anyone know the % of tint on the side/rear windows? Wanting to have driver and passenger doors done to match, and want to make sure its a perfect match.

Thanks.
I believe it's 20%, and you'll want to check KY laws to find out if that's legal on the fronts in your state. Frame of reference: 20% is not legal in MS (and subject to state inspection every year), so I went with a legal 35% tint on my fronts and while it's slightly different, it still looks/works great, including in 8-months-of-the-year 90 degree So. Miss heat, and with my off-black interior. Here are before and after pics:

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That does look most excellent. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put 20% to match rears. My thoughts were, Police don't pull over Volvo's. last weekend my wife got nailed for speeding in New Jersey no mention of tints. Looks way better all around matching tints. Now on my STI I obeyed tint laws 20% front.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Did the same as drat on ours. Look at it this way: the fronts and rears don't match from the factory right now...any level of darker tint than what is there today reduces the mismatch substantially. The bigger difference might be the TYPE of tint. My wife and I both got our rides tinted in July. In my case, the Volt, I went with Huper Optik ceramic since it had no tint from the factory. However, the HO has a bit of a greenish tint and we decided it would clash with the rear factory tint on the Volvo so we went with a different brand that had a more traditional black look.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I put 20% to match rears. My thoughts were, Police don't pull over Volvo's. last weekend my wife got nailed for speeding in New Jersey no mention of tints. Looks way better all around matching tints. Now on my STI I obeyed tint laws 20% front.
I would agree with your thoughts on that and would have gone straight 20%, except that here in MS they actually light-meter the tint during the otherwise-no-effect-on-safety inspection process.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Thanks.
Well, another reason to avoid KY, unless you don't mind sharing the road with an XC60 that the driver cannot see out of.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, another reason to avoid KY, unless you don't mind sharing the road with an XC60 that the driver cannot see out of.
Nicely played. And despite being a smart ass, you are probably right. I sat in the rear seat, looked out the window, and agree its a bit darker than optimal.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I would agree with your thoughts on that and would have gone straight 20%, except that here in MS they actually light-meter the tint during the otherwise-no-effect-on-safety inspection process.
Hey now...where's that smiley? :)
I have to say the safety inspection process in Texas has resulted in MANY, MANY fewer vehicles running without brake lights, tail lights, head lights...you get the idea. Back in Atlanta, you couldn't go through an intersection in the nicest part of town without some boy racer blowing through with non-functioning lights somewhere.'Course, if we keep changing vehicles every two years, we get a 'pass' on the inspection since new vehicles come with a two-year sticker. Great way to save thirty bucks...buy a new $50K vehicle!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Nicely played. And despite being a smart ass, you are probably right. I sat in the rear seat, looked out the window, and agree its a bit darker than optimal.
Okay kids, play nice.:)
I never tinted the fronts on the XC60, even here in central Texas. Just was extra careful about parking. On a couple of highway trips, there was certainly some desire for relief from the baking sun. When it's 105 out, that extra radiant energy is NOT welcome! In town and on shorter trips, it wasn't a factor. Actually the windshield and sunroof were the major culprits in the heating of the interior, I believe. That is one big windshield! Even with the sunroof screen closed, there was plenty of heat gain to be felt.

I had the fronts of the new RDX tinted 'one shade' lighter than the factory tint in the rear. Even at that, I'm still not used to the darker glass up front. The slightly lighter tint looks fine to me, aesthetics-wise.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
But dad...........he started it! :vampire:
Don't MAKE me STOP this car!!!;)

Sure wish I could edit those last posts...typos and all. Hah! Got 'em!

·
Registered
442 Posts
drat19 said:
Hey now...where's that smiley? :)
I have to say the safety inspection process in Texas has resulted in MANY, MANY fewer vehicles running without brake lights, tail lights, head lights...you get the idea. Back in Atlanta, you couldn't go through an intersection in the nicest part of town without some boy racer blowing through with non-functioning lights somewhere.'Course, if we keep changing vehicles every two years, we get a 'pass' on the inspection since new vehicles come with a two-year sticker. Great way to save thirty bucks...buy a new $50K vehicle!!! ;)
Our state inspection in MS is a JOKE. They have us turn on our lights. That's it. No bald tire check, no mechanical checks, nothing else. EXCEPT also the tint test with the light meter.

Like I said, no effect on safety.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Even if you only go 35% on the front and have 20% in the back it still looks a lot better than having no tint on the front windows. I run 20% on everything. 20% is legal on front windows in NM. There are no safety checks or emissions here either. Yay I still have some freedom when it comes to my vehicles. I don't mind beat up vehicles on the road. It costs me $50 a year to register a vehicle here. If they start doing all that other inspection/emissions horse-s**t, registration costs will go way WAY up!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am thinking of tinting front windows. No idea where to start. I used tintcenter.com to request quotes, but about 3 days later they emailed me that they could not find any "trusted" shops in the area.

Is this something I can attempt to do myself? How do I know a shop is "trusted"?

TIA

·
Registered
146 Posts
Does your dealer do it or recommend anyone that can? I just had my new Audi done by the dealer. The thing I like about it is that they do tint on Audi's all the time. They are familiar with how to remove Audi door panels and put them back without damaging anything or creating any rattles. Plus they use a CNC tint cutting machine that cuts the tint perfectly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am thinking of tinting front windows. No idea where to start. I used tintcenter.com to request quotes, but about 3 days later they emailed me that they could not find any "trusted" shops in the area.

Is this something I can attempt to do myself? How do I know a shop is "trusted"?

TIA
Don't attempt it yourself unless you have the tools and know-how...ever seen what utter crap amateur tint jobs look like on cars along the road? Don't ruin the appearance of your otherwise sharp $40+K new ride.

I'm sure there are trusted tinters in your area in Chicagoland, just a matter of finding one. In the absence of that (i.e., you just don't know whom to ask), AngryBird's suggestion of asking your dealer is a good one...I'm sure someone in either your dealer's sales or service can refer you to one they've heard (or know) good things about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't attempt it yourself unless you have the tools and know-how...ever seen what utter crap amateur tint jobs look like on cars along the road? Don't ruin the appearance of your otherwise sharp $40+K new ride.

I'm sure there are trusted tinters in your area in Chicagoland, just a matter of finding one. In the absence of that (i.e., you just don't know whom to ask), AngryBird's suggestion of asking your dealer is a good one...I'm sure someone in either your dealer's sales or service can refer you to one they've heard (or know) good things about.
Thank you all.

I've seen plenty of ugly tint job, thats why I am not too eager to do it myself.
I will ask my dealer on Saturday, when I go to pick up (finally) license plates. Speaking of which... Is there any alternative to drilling ugly holes in the front bumper. I know there are pre-set locations to drill, I just hate to think what that will do to the bumper, and I suspect plate bracket will scratch it too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Our state inspection in MS is a JOKE. They have us turn on our lights. That's it. No bald tire check, no mechanical checks, nothing else. EXCEPT also the tint test with the light meter.

Like I said, no effect on safety.
I was wondering if the MS inspection had changed in 30 years. When I was living there I asked co-workers where to get an inspection. They all said to walk a block down to a shop, slip the owner a five-spot and walk back with a sticker. I didn't have the extra five bucks to waste so I actually drove the car over there. The guy seemed peeved that he actually had to turn on the lights and beep the horn.

But then again here in MN now, we have no inspections at all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts