SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who has tinted the back window have any issues with the dot matrix along the top near the brake light? while doing a search on line many folks with cars that have the matrix seem to have uneven placement where the tinter cant seem to do much about it. One of the options that many folks use is to place black vinyl over the matrix and tinting the remainder of the window.
Has anyone tried the black vinyl?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
My tinter did not tint over the dot matrix and honesty it's not noticeable at all. I notice the rear defroster lines more now then anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1
Tint starting just under the line. Looks great; no issues.
You think I could see a photo by any chance? Mine is sitting at the tinters now as tey are removing the tint they installed. Currently I have asked them to place vinyl across the matrix. I may call them up and ask to just remove the tint on the matrix.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You think I could see a photo by any chance? Mine is sitting at the tinters now as tey are removing the tint they installed. Currently I have asked them to place vinyl across the matrix. I may call them up and ask to just remove the tint on the matrix.

Just took those pics on my phone. Hope they show up and are of help

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Has anyone who has tinted the back window have any issues with the dot matrix along the top near the brake light?
Yes. The adherence of the film is uneven and the "unevenness" can be seen in certain light at certain angles. I can't speak to any remedies - this doesn't bother me enough to do anything about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Just took those pics on my phone. Hope they show up and are of help

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That looks great, I just called my tint guy and he is going to tint up to the matrix.....as it turns out he says he could not do the vinyl becuase of the third break light.

Thanks for posting the picture. That helped alot.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That looks great, I just called my tint guy and he is going to tint up to the matrix.....as it turns out he says he could not do the vinyl becuase of the third break light.

Thanks for posting the picture. That helped alot.
Glad to be of help.
Hope it comes out to your satisfaction.
What % tint are you getting?
I have 25% but wish I got 30 or 35%. While it looks great It's a bit hard to see at night. I don't do too much night driving so that is ok :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to be of help.
Hope it comes out to your satisfaction.
What % tint are you getting?
I have 25% but wish I got 30 or 35%. While it looks great It's a bit hard to see at night. I don't do too much night driving so that is ok :)
It came out great and very satisified with the look. I went with the Llumar CTX 15%. I dont really find driving at night a problem since I have a back up camera. Here in El Paso (Sun City) Texas, I need as much heat rejection as possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did a 5% in the back. Can't see in at all, seeing out is fine day time, but can't see anything behind me except headlights at night. So I just park where I don't have to back up to get out, lol.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had mine done recently, covering the dot matrix, using 33% ceramic film and it doesn't look bad at all. The shop i used is well-known in the Houston corvette community, especially when it comes to tackling their dot matrix problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Volvo S60 T6 AWD R Design Platinum
466 Posts
Used the search and this thread from 2015 was a close match for my issue.

Recently had the windows on my 2017 S60R tinted by a decent shop, have used them before for multiple years and vehicles, however the dot matrix area across the top of the rear window isn't curing 'evenly' or consistently. Hard to show a decent picture of it, the issue sounds like what others in this thread were describing. Before I go back to them I wanted to see if this is a widespread issue endemic to the S60 / this type of dot matrix treatment, or an issue that may be more with the shops capabilities. Any feedback or issues beyond these few posters from 2015?

Would note that I had it tinted approximately two weeks ago with Llumar Pinnacle ceramic, when it was very cold with snow and rain for days and there was a lack of sun for a week. I am monitoring it now we have had some sun and temps are rising, hoping the film has just needed some temp/uv strength to smooth out.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I
Has anyone who has tinted the back window have any issues with the dot matrix along the top near the brake light? while doing a search on line many folks with cars that have the matrix seem to have uneven placement where the tinter cant seem to do much about it. One of the options that many folks use is to place black vinyl over the matrix and tinting the remainder of the window.
Has anyone tried the black vinyl?
I just wouldn't tint over the dotted lines. If it is a problematic spot, why bother screwing around with it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I enjoy words and vocabulary. The dot matrix you refer to is technically known "frit."

There is a dual purpose. While the inward facing side of the frit allows adhesive to bond to the glass, the outward facing side of the frit acts as a shield against UV radiation in order to protect the adhesive bond.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I enjoy words and vocabulary. The dot matrix you refer to is technically known "frit."

There is a dual purpose. While the inward facing side of the frit allows adhesive to bond to the glass, the outward facing side of the frit acts as a shield against UV radiation in order to protect the adhesive bond.
This is very new and interesting information !

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wanted to post follow up in here in case anyone references this thread for a similar issue in the future.

Follow up with the installer today says it is merely a byproduct of the frit edge. Some cars will tint better than others, it depends on the thickness and spacing of the frit dots. They did say that I could try to squeegee it further myself when the car is in the sun and the glass is nice and hot, but in the end it will always look different to the areas with no frit. I pointed out that I figured the area would be milky or hazy since the tint couldn't fully adhere to the glass in this area, since the dot matrix depth is interfering with the tint to glass adhesion, but that my concern was the lines and installer marks in the milky area. Their response to that was the same, there was not much else that could be done except get a new window with no frit, install that window then tint it. Or to remove the tint and sand the frit down and then retint that. Obviously neither of these options make sense. So I will live with it, it isn't really that bad just annoying to me as the shop didn't advise me this might happen - so when I saw it I assumed it was messed up.

If anyone has other better or worse or similar tint / frit results post up let see and hear about them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I got my windows tinted, I read about this and told the installer to just start the tint below the matrix dots cause I did not want to take the chance of this happening. I don't really pay attention to it so it has not bugged me one bit that I did not get the tint done on the matrix.

·
Registered
466 Posts
When I got my windows tinted, I read about this and told the installer to just start the tint below the matrix dots cause I did not want to take the chance of this happening. I don't really pay attention to it so it has not bugged me one bit that I did not get the tint done on the matrix.
I really didn't research it before having the work done, because I had only recently prior to this had a newer car tinted and it had all sorts of dot matrix going on and it came out fine. Definitely a different manufacturer, but thats lesson learned for this situation.

At this point the only options are: 1. Live with it, 2. Have maybe a second darker layer of tint as a strip applied inside the rear window covering only the affected area, or 3. Have a layer of vinyl wrap applied on the outside of the glass covering only the affected area.

1. Is most likely what will happen, 2. result would be that you could still see the inconsistent adhesion milkiness from the outside, or 3. I am not sure how that would look, and I think it might not look good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts