SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 R-design, and recently had ceramic tints installed. I used a reputable shop that has done other vehicles of ours, and they have always done an outstanding job. Everything looked great when I picked it up, no issues - except the radio had extreme static for a day or two. However, I blamed that on bad storms we had in the days after I had it done, so didn't think much about it.

About a week later, I was cleaning snow off my rear windshield and noticed something foreign in the tint - I assumed dog hair. I called the shop and they said to bring it down. Upon inspection, I was told the foreign pieces are actually parts of the defroster & antenna grid. The installer proceeded to point out where there were upwards of 50 spots on the lower quarter of the glass where pieces were missing. He insisted that this was probably due to tints being improperly removed in the past, but confirmed he saw no indication of tints anywhere else on the car. I bought the car from a dealership, and am 99% confident that the car was never tinted in the past. I never noticed these missing pieces before I had the tints done - I'd like to think I'd have noticed, because I'm pretty anal about keeping the car detailed and clean, and it was in excellent condition when I purchased it.

Ever since I picked the car up initially, the radio has been very static-y, so this all is starting to make sense (because i believe the antenna is in the rear glass - is that correct??) I can't say if I've noticed the rear defroster working or not since the tint job was done, because the car is always garaged. I can't recall it ever not working before the tints were done; again, because the car isn't in the elements much at all.

Has anyone else ever had or heard of this issue occurring with these cars? I'm no expert, so I had no idea that the defroster grid could ever fall apart like that. I called the shop owner and he blamed it on "poor, cheap engineering of the vehicle", told me it was probably improperly cared for, and the grid was cheap to begin with...he was a complete jerk and took zero responsibility for the mistake. I am not looking to place blame on anyone; I just want to understand what/how it happened. I'm going to test the defroster over the next few days if I can (of course, temps are going to be sunny and warm in my area of New England this week); but I am upset that I possibly have a defective rear shield now.

Any tips, comments, or personal experiences on this would be very helpful. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have a tint on my car and everything is perfect.
Blaming the Volvo design/manufacturing is not a valid excuse. Mine is a 2012 as well so it would be identical to yours.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I believe that all antennae, including for the radio, are in the 'shark fin' on the rear of the roof. If you're getting poor reception it may be that your antenna amplifier is failing - I've had that issue with embedded antennae on other cars.

EDIT: I stand corrected (see below). The radio antennae are in the window and only the satellite, GPS, and GSM antennae are in the shark fin.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That sucks. I would ask the installer how many times they removed and installed the tint on the rear glass. If they messed up after installing it and had to remove it, that may have caused the issue. But I'm sure they will deny any responsibility or fault of their own.

I had tint installed on my S60 without issue. All defrost and antenna lines were intact after the install.

It sounds like the installer might have peeled off or moved the tint to where it could have damaged the lines. I'm not an expert, just going through possible scenarios on how it could have happened.

And blaming poor quality parts from Volvo is piss poor business skills. Is ask to speak with the manager or owner and get their input and experience with other Volvos they have worked on and any other car that experiences this problem post install.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the owner is the one who made those comments about the car's cheap quality. LOL. This car is ANYTHING but cheap!! It's a good thing I love it so much!
It's frustrating. But that's a good point - to ask if they had to remove it for any reason during install...though you're right, I can't imagine them admitting any fault at this point. The owner actually had the nerve to tell me he would "happily replace the tints once the windshield is repaired." LOL - yeah right bud!

So, you can confirm that the antenna is in the windshield? The response above you mentioned it being in the "shark fin"; but I thought the fin was more for aesthetics and the antennas were in the glass and other parts of the car.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I have a 2012 R-design, and recently had ceramic tints installed. I used a reputable shop that has done other vehicles of ours, and they have always done an outstanding job. Everything looked great when I picked it up, no issues - except the radio had extreme static for a day or two. However, I blamed that on bad storms we had in the days after I had it done, so didn't think much about it.

About a week later, I was cleaning snow off my rear windshield and noticed something foreign in the tint - I assumed dog hair. I called the shop and they said to bring it down. Upon inspection, I was told the foreign pieces are actually parts of the defroster & antenna grid. The installer proceeded to point out where there were upwards of 50 spots on the lower quarter of the glass where pieces were missing. He insisted that this was probably due to tints being improperly removed in the past, but confirmed he saw no indication of tints anywhere else on the car. I bought the car from a dealership, and am 99% confident that the car was never tinted in the past. I never noticed these missing pieces before I had the tints done - I'd like to think I'd have noticed, because I'm pretty anal about keeping the car detailed and clean, and it was in excellent condition when I purchased it.

Ever since I picked the car up initially, the radio has been very static-y, so this all is starting to make sense (because i believe the antenna is in the rear glass - is that correct??) I can't say if I've noticed the rear defroster working or not since the tint job was done, because the car is always garaged. I can't recall it ever not working before the tints were done; again, because the car isn't in the elements much at all.

Has anyone else ever had or heard of this issue occurring with these cars? I'm no expert, so I had no idea that the defroster grid could ever fall apart like that. I called the shop owner and he blamed it on "poor, cheap engineering of the vehicle", told me it was probably improperly cared for, and the grid was cheap to begin with...he was a complete jerk and took zero responsibility for the mistake. I am not looking to place blame on anyone; I just want to understand what/how it happened. I'm going to test the defroster over the next few days if I can (of course, temps are going to be sunny and warm in my area of New England this week); but I am upset that I possibly have a defective rear shield now.

Any tips, comments, or personal experiences on this would be very helpful. Thanks!!
I had this happen to my car and replacing the rear windshield cost $750. Tint job from dealer was so so and dealer agreed to pay for it to be redone. I took to ziebart and they F*CKED up my car big time. Said they could remove rear windshield tint (I was Naive). They broke rear defrost and said well we "warned you" it could happen.

If the grid on the read defrost has missing sections in between lines, it is broken. You can either

A. Try to repaint the grid and see if that fixes
B. Replace entire windshield...

Not sure how good repainting the grid is...There are a lot of DIY kits. I didn't even bother and replaced windshield. Two lessons learned.

NEVER EVER USE ZIEBART.....Not only did they break rear defrost but tint was creased.. Had to take these guys to court just to get tint job money back. Due to disclaimer, I didn't get rear defrost money though....

Never mess with back windshield if there's ever been tint. Removing will 100% break lines.....

In your case, sounds like installer was INCOMPETENT.....Look at contract and see if you signed away your rights on breaking rear defrost. If not, take these guys to small claims court. Get a letter from dealer saying car was never tinted in past. Have dealer test rear defrost (bet its broken). If it is broken, take service record with you to small claims... And then see what you can do.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
So, you can confirm that the antenna is in the windshield? The response above you mentioned it being in the "shark fin"; but I thought the fin was more for aesthetics and the antennas were in the glass and other parts of the car.
The AM/FM antenna is in the rear window. GPS, GSM and Satellite radio antennas are in the shark fin.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
ok, thank you!
Have dealer test your rear defrost. If installer screwed up and tried removing the film on back windshield, chances are he broke the lines. Sounds like the guy didn't know what he was doing....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts