SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that there are some tech's out there willing to give me a professional opinion on my timing marks. I am halfway into a timing belt job which I realize is a little over my head. :facepalm:

I was getting ready to take the timing belt off and following the procedure where you align the marks, turn it 90 degrees past, and then back to the alligned marks. When I rotated it CCW I noticed that it released some tension on the belt. I stopped and then turned it CW a full rotation and tried to line up the marks again. I have not taken the tensioner off or the harmonic balancer. Here is what they look like:

Right Cam:

Left Cam:

If you notice the right cam looks dead on but the left cam looks slightly to the left of the marks. How does this look to you experienced guys? I can't remember how exact it lined up before. Is it even possible for the cam to jump a tooth when rotating the crank CCW to line the marks back up due to the tensioner releasing some tension?

Sorry if the left cam is a little blurry i wanted to take the shot dead on and there isn't much room.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me.

·
Registered
484 Posts
your left cam is off the whole tooth, you have to realign it or your car wont run like its suppose to. Did you rotate the crank with left side off?
when you take the timing belt of set the left side so its little past the timing marks, so when you put the tension it will rotate back in its place. You may have to play around with it few time by taking the belt of. It took me about 3-4 tries to get mine dead on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I haven't actually taken the belt off of the car yet. That is what I was trying to figure out whether that was how it was from the factory and was close enough or it had in fact moved. The only thing I did that would have allowed it to slip was to rotate the crank 90 degrees CCW and that took some tension off of the belt, maybe it slipped then?

I guess once I take the belt off I will just have to rotate the cam back to time before slipping the new one on.

How were you able to tell when the crankshaft was lined up? Can I not see the mark because I have not taken off the harmonic balancer?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts