SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a thread a while back where the participants were discussing the virtues of different timing gear material combinations (e.g., steel/fiber, steel/aluminum, etc.). I vaguely recall that someone inquired about the availability of steel/steel sets and that the consensus seemed to be that they didn't exist. In any event, just in case someone is interested, I just ran across these (very expensive) steel/steel sets from IPD, supposedly genuine Volvo parts. Go here: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7529/110281-steel-timing-gear-set-b18-b20-b30

·
1,579 Posts
The steel/steel sets can be had new from a number of sources, but they're all expensive. I actually prefer the steel/aluminum sets (just as durable, quieter, less rotating mass), which can be had for about $120 including shipping.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i heard the aluminum gears are a pain to install (you need to heat them up before pressing on)

any experience there? i do see alot of aluminum kits and it seems only volvo made the steel ones (penta or 1975 b30)

·
Registered
243 Posts
i heard the aluminum gears are a pain to install (you need to heat them up before pressing on)

any experience there? i do see alot of aluminum kits and it seems only volvo made the steel ones (penta or 1975 b30)
No need for heat nor any other special consideration. Install as normal, start engine. Drive.

Cameron
Portland

·
1,579 Posts
There's usually a note with the Cloyes gears that says to heat the aluminum gear before installation, but I've never found a need to do it. As Cameron says, it installs just like the fiber or steel gear.

·
Registered
179 Posts
cool good to know. i have a new cloyes aluminum set and a NOS scantech fiber set (made in USA too)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe that Phil Singher said that the Cloyes gears are aluminum and steel, but I can't remember for sure. I would simply PM him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts