SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...all sorts of different mileages for timing belt/water pump changes for my '08 C70. What's the REAL deal on when to change them? I don't want to be cross country traveling and have the belt let loose...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Or ten years... whichever comes sooner... so if you’re still on the original you’re on borrowed time

·
Registered
820 Posts
No, he’s using k for thousand meaning 120,000 miles.... but an 08 has been on the road for 12-13 years at this point, so regardless of mileage it’s overdue for a new belt... as for the water pump, it’s not quite unanimous, but the majority view seems to be that the original pump is good for two timing belts

·
Registered
150 Posts
As I've said before I purchased my c70 approximately 550 miles from home. Car had 85,000 miles so owner and I split the cost of the timing belt. Went to a Bosch certified garage. Garage owner called to advise that tensioner fell off in his hand. Never would have made it home. Maintenance receipts given to me showed that this was a meticulously maintained car. Guess the message is to not push the fine Volvo engine to it's limits.. Be safe rather than sorry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, he’s using k for thousand meaning 120,000 miles.... but an 08 has been on the road for 12-13 years at this point, so regardless of mileage it’s overdue for a new belt... as for the water pump, it’s not quite unanimous, but the majority view seems to be that the original pump is good for two timing belts
I know what k stands for, but dealer said that belt should be changed every 120k km. Those aint my words

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
820 Posts
Official Volvo maintenance schedule states 120,000 miles/192,000km

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thats interesting, i guess dealer who told me this was drunk or just doesnt know these things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Ok...all sorts of different mileages for timing belt/water pump changes for my '08 C70. What's the REAL deal on when to change them? I don't want to be cross country traveling and have the belt let loose...
Any modifications/hp upgrades?

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
420 Posts
I wouldn't push the timing belt for more than 7 years. regardless of miles.

There are a lot of factors that determine the real lifespan of a timing belt. What I've seen so far is they break at around 9-11 years.

The original timing belt of my C70 (T5) broke at 10 years with 97066 miles. (altough, I'm not exactly sure why it broke, probably it was sabotaged or something, because the belt had a clean cut, it didn't disintegrate. and there is a carfax record of the car being "serviced" at 97065 miles. That shop had 3 bad reviews from other volvo owners, curiously, involving timing belts). This happened to the previous owner.

When I bought my S40 (2.4i), it had 105k and it was 10 years old. The timing belt was ready to let go. I replaced it immediatly along with the tensioner. 4 years and 40k miles later, I'm still running the original idler pulley and water pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts