SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Timing Belt

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jonn 
#1 ·
I'm coming up on 70k and need to replace the timing belt soon. What other parts should also be replaced? Some people say the timing belt tensioner, timing belt tensioner pulley and timing belt idler pulley should be replaced and some people say they shouldn't. What is recommended?

Thanks!

-Larry

#2 ·
I just had mine replaced on a 98 S70 T5. I dropped it off thinking that I was getting just my timing belt replaced and the shop called me about an hour later and explained to me that tensioner needed to be replaced also. This was the first time they mentioned it. What are you going to say at that point? So I had them replace it, even though I had never heard about it until they had my car apart. It's about a $150 part. The shop told me that Volvo recommends that you replace the tensioner at the same time as the belt. I am like you, I would like to see what others think on this topic. The timing belt is about $50. Labor was the rest of the cost totalling close to $430. Does this sound legit or did I get the wool pulled over my eyes.

quote:

Originally posted by deleonl1:
I'm coming up on 70k and need to replace the timing belt soon. What other parts should also be replaced? Some people say the timing belt tensioner, timing belt tensioner pulley and timing belt idler pulley should be replaced and some people say they shouldn't. What is recommended?

Thanks!

-Larry

#3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by gr98s70t5:
Does this sound legit or did I get the wool pulled over my eyes.

A timing belt replacement is fairly costly. The water pump should have also been replaced with the timing belt.

Yannis

#6 ·
Unless tensioner shows signs of deteriorating performance (ease of collapse, leaks) there is no point of replacing. Same goes for the water pump. If you were to follow the logic of parts replacement where would you stop? One can make a point of replacing oil pump, pulleys, seals, gaskets just because the potential disaster that may follow if they fail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.