SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just bought a C70 with 115k miles on it. Book says the timing belt should be changed every 105k. Oh yeah, this is the 2.3 HT.
Firstly, how set in stone is this?
Secondly, is it easy enough to remove the valve cover to see if they already did it recently?

Thanks in advance!
-wtyrrel

·
Registered
331 Posts
Unless you have documentation that the timing belt has already been done, I would make it my absolute first priority to get that changed. Most Volvo guys will tell you that you really shouldn't go past 80k miles on a timing belt.

As far as your second question, I can't answer that as I paid someone else to do the job. However, when a Volvo dealer changes the belt, they put a silver sticker in the engine compartment that documents the mileage and date of the change.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The 850s Timing Interval is 70k , the C70 Interval is 105k
But remember Time is an issue also. After 10yrs no matter the mileage, change it
Looking inside the Timing Belt cover won't prove anything.
If you don't know for sure if it's been R&R, then do it!
Since you just bought this car, I'm assuming you're going to keep it awhile.
So while you're in there I'd replace the water pump, tensioner, and pulley.
Buy OE or OEM parts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked around and I don't see that sticker; where do they put it?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Usually on the timing cover or the ecu cover, somewhere you can see it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a white sticker with model# and serial# on the timing cover somewhat sandwiched between it and the coolant reservoir.. but it doesn't have a date on it..

·
Registered
168 Posts
Search for "Stage Zero" and then do the full list, starting with the timing belt, water pump, and seals. If you don't, you will have a very pretty Swedish paperweight sooner than you think.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The 850s Timing Interval is 70k , the C70 Interval is 105k
But remember Time is an issue also. After 10yrs no matter the mileage, change it
Looking inside the Timing Belt cover won't prove anything.
If you don't know for sure if it's been R&R, then do it!
Since you just bought this car, I'm assuming you're going to keep it awhile.
So while you're in there I'd replace the water pump, tensioner, and pulley.
Buy OE or OEM parts

FYI - The c70 timing belt mileage varies by model year. Becareful with this...read the owner manual to vary your mileage for when to change. MY98 was 70K miles, not 105k....in later years it did increase. And worse case scenario, if you can't find the silver sticker, change the belt.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you're just a bundle of joy, aren't you? Are you suggesting the water pump just because it'll be off and it's not too expensive? Most water pumps I've ever known (minus GM) should last 200k w/o a problem.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How hard is it to do? I've replaced the timing chains on my '92 Town Car before, so I have some technical experience... The belts are about the same difficulty, yes? (Other than being harder to reach, the motor not being trans-axially mounted.)
Can someone help me find a book to this car? Only thing I've found that comes close is the Haynes 1994-1998; although 1 site did say that it covered up to 2002.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just replaced my timing belt this week and it was easy, the best part is you don't have to remove the crank pulley, their was a lower cover on the crank pulley was tough to remove but I got it.
You kind of have to turn the belt and slide it out near the crank pulley but it will slide out and remember to slide it back in the same way it came out & be sure it is fully seated to the crank and not caught on the plastic covers.
The water pump isn't to hard, its kind of tight getting in their to prep the old mounting surface with a scorch bright pad but its easier then using a razor blade.
The thermostat is a cheap part so I replaced mine because I had the cooling system open.
I don't know what tensioner you have but their is another resent post with a diagram on how to adjust the self-adjusting one.
I you get lost on serpentine belt just google it and you can find a diagram.
I was taking my time and I think it touck me maybe 6 hours

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Sounds about right. On some newer years though you can't get the timing belt off without removing the harmonic balancer. They've changed the covers over the years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can someone help me find a book to this car? Only thing I've found that comes close is the Haynes 1994-1998; although 1 site did say that it covered up to 2002.
That's the closest you are going to come to a book for this car, and much will be the same. Someone told me once (I can not confirm this) that Volvo specifically denied the rights for Chiltons or Hayes to print books on these so the dealerships could get more business. There are websites around such as Bay13 that have decent instructions, but of course that requires you to have you tablet / laptop in your garage to flip through.

Don't forget the ETM (Xemodex), all the fluids and filters, silicone hoses, engine mounts, suspension bits, etc....

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
There's a white sticker with model# and serial# on the timing cover somewhat sandwiched between it and the coolant reservoir.. but it doesn't have a date on it..
That's the engine number

1 - 14 of 14 Posts