SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have called Volvo and they told me that with the VIN that I have I need part # 30638277 for the tensioner. They told me that there was a split between 2004 and 2005. After the split the part number is 8687855. Does anyone know anything about this? I guess I will know if I have the correct tensioner when I disassemble the parts. Also when these tensioners fail, which part number is failing?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. I have seen that some R cars use different tensioners. I have conflicting info, someone give me some help! The kit I have is:

30758261 kit (this has the 3 parts inside box)
30638277 tensioner
8630590 idler pully
8627484 timing belt

·
Registered
606 Posts
Based off the VIN you sent me, those parts look right. The only difference is timing belt PN, but when that is typed into TASCA, the PN you posted is brought up. So it looks like that is an updated part number.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulling the cover off sometime tonight. I will inspect and thread back, thanks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the part that Volvo said I need obtained from my VIN. Part #30638277

Here is what is on the car. It is not the same part. The long fork shaped piece on the car is much longer to mount to the metal dowel pin locking it in place. And the other part is off about 30 degrees. What is this part#?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I found this today searching. Seems that someone else (JoJoDaClown) had the same issue. I PM'd JoJo, but no response yet.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Don't think they make that one anymore, I ordered that exact one from FCP and the one that came was the tensioner on the right.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't think they make that one anymore, I ordered that exact one from FCP and the one that came was the tensioner on the right.
So did yours fit correctly?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I found this today searching. Seems that someone else (JoJoDaClown) had the same issue. I PM'd JoJo, but no response yet.

The one pictured on the RIGHT is the earlier style tensioner for engine codes up to 3188688. I am fairly certain it has PN 8692630.
Engines codes after 3188689 require the later style tensioner on the LEFT. I believe it has PN 8687851 (someone double check)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The one pictured on the RIGHT is the earlier style tensioner for engine codes up to 3188688. I am fairly certain it has PN 8692630.
Engines codes after 3188689 require the later style tensioner on the LEFT. I believe it has PN 8687851 (someone double check)
My engine code is below 3188688. The one on the right is part# 30638277. Some R cars need that blue tensioner. Part# 8687851. The one on the left is neither part number. That is the one I think I need. (This statement refers to the pics above from George at Viva)

I found this too. Stuck, Don't know what to do.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it should fit since all the engine blocks have same casting. just use it long as the pulley dia is the same.
Judging by the pics, it does not look like the fork shaped piece will lock to the metal dowel on the casting. Study the pics, What do you think?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, Volvo called me this morning after countless time on the phone yesterday about my parts I ordered. They told me I had the correct parts. So I inspected and the tensioner is different (see pics above). I called Volvo this morning and told them the tensioner is different. They called me back and said they did some more research on my VIN, and that the car was built in late august which makes the motor a 2005. The 2005 tensioner is the blue one, so IDK. My inspection of my belt, last night, left me with an unsure feeling to drive it anymore. The belt was fraying at the edge closest to the belt cover and wearing a mark into the cover itself. It also looks as if the belt is about to walk off the tensioner. (see pics above). I ended up taking the car to Volvo for the piece of mind (2 year warranty) and the fact that IDK WTF parts to buy or use. Oh well, I let all of you know what happens in the end.

BTW, everyone should take the cover off and inspect for those signs mentioned above. It is only 3 screws.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have to give props to the guys and gals at Volvo of Cincinnati. They gave me same day service on a timing belt change for 317.00. I called in the morning, brought it to them at noon and it was done in a few hours. Take a look at the pics.

The kit on the left is what I needed. The one on the right is the wrong one.

This is the tensioner. Part #30637955

The timing belt. Not much time left. frayed with chunks taken out all the way around the belt.

This is the pic of the old tensioner and belt on the car. Note how it looks as if it is about to walk off the tensioner. See the space left where there is no belt? See the greenish-blue residue on the edge of the belt. That is from the belt cover. Please inspect yours! BTW, I am at 104500K.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Holy crap dude! Good thing you brought her in and took care of business. Didn't get to taking the cover off today but I will def tomorrow.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yeah I will be taking the cover off too soon to inspect. I am around 82K ,but better safe then sorry. That is really weird to me that the parts everyone said were right, were not right. Even based off your VIN. I wonder if it has to do with that weird split in production you were talking about. Still, that makes it really hard to determine what the right parts are until you are having it done.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
This thread has me questioning some things. I just had my timing belt replaced a few weeks ago at a Volvo Indy Shop. I'm hoping they used the right kit.

Would the concern here be premature failure?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.