SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is one for R's? I tried searching but didnt come up with much. Are there any special tools needed? I would be willing to put together a how to with pics if someone could help me out! This is something I need to do in the near future

·
Registered
719 Posts
999 5433

It's a counterhold.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I can walk you through the process if you'd like.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There is a how to with video on here somewhere. Do a search - I would but I am not feeling strong in the force today.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont have parts or anythin yet but probably in 2 weeks will be looking at tackling this so im just trying to plan ahead because I know some things can be hard to find for our cars. There is no point in me doing a how to if there is already a video but i didnt see a link in the sticky notes or my searching manually. but I will try again.

I can walk you through the process if you'd like.
vplay I will take you up on that offer if I cannot find this video!!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
719 Posts
how did you replace the front camshaft seals?
I have changed other timing belts, I have not changed ours. I can give you a step-by-step on how to change the timing belt and the cam seals, front and rear, but I have no personal experience with doing so in our R's.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
I have changed other timing belts, I have not changed ours. I can give you a step-by-step on how to change the timing belt and the cam seals, front and rear, but I have no personal experience with doing so in our R's.
it is more , more difficult with variable timing that without to change front cam seals and that is what tspot was asking for , and I would hope you would want to replace the cam seal as well..you will need cam locking tool as well...and I would not recommend to tackle this if you are not mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am mechanically inclined but inexperienced with timing belts and volvo's. All the same I would like to try and tackle this myself because with our cars it seems liek sometimes the parts arent too bad but the labour is the killer. I have two working hands and love tearing things apart an putting them back together so paying someone to do somethin I could do myself seems silly to me

·
Registered
719 Posts
it is more , more difficult with variable timing that without to change front cam seals and that is what tspot was asking for , and I would hope you would want to replace the cam seal as well..you will need cam locking tool as well...and I would not recommend to tackle this if you are not mechanically inclined.
I don't underestimate it at all. I have the instructions, the tool lists, but that's why I put it out that I haven't performed these procedures on our cars.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I can email you the VIDA instructions. I did mine a couple weeks ago. You DO NOT have to pull the oscillation dampener. You can instead pull 2 10mm bolts off a plastic guard. Doing that means the special tool (counter hold) is not required.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can email you the VIDA instructions. I did mine a couple weeks ago. You DO NOT have to pull the oscillation dampener. You can instead pull 2 10mm bolts off a plastic guard. Doing that means the special tool (counter hold) is not required.
I will PM you :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I just tried to watch the 3 vids from the S60 forum and none of them are available any longer due to the account owner closing the account, that said I will put together a How To, based on the VIDA instructions, with pics, when I get around to this which will hopefully be in about 2 weeks. Thanks to all for the input!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
sent.

Here is the text. You should have images and all in the email I sent.

----------

21: Timing gear, B5254T4
Print

Timing belt, replacing
Special tools:
999 5433

Note! Since the illustrations in this service information are used for different model years and/or models, some variation may occur. However, the essential information is always correct.
Remove components

Caution! Remove the ignition key.
Remove:
the cross stay between the suspension turrets
the upper timing belt cover
the servo reservoir and the expansion tank.
Lift up and place on top of the engine.
Warning! Ensure that no power steering fluid is spilled. Extremely flammable.
the auxiliaries belt
the front timing belt cover.
Position the engine according to the marking

Remove the right front wheel
Remove the nut from the cover in the wing liner
Install the upper timing belt cover
Turn the crankshaft clockwise until the markings on the crankshaft and camshaft pulley correspond
Turn the crankshaft a further 1/4 turn clockwise and then back again until the markings correspond.
The markings are illustrated

Remove the upper timing belt cover.
Removing the timing belt

Slacken off the belt tensioner.

Slacken off the centre screw for the belt tensioner slightly.
Hold the centre screw still. Turn the tensioner eccentric clockwise using a 6 mm Allen key to 10 o'clock.
Remove the timing belt from the tension pulley, camshaft pulley and water pump.
Note! The component can be reused unless it has been subjected to abnormal mechanical stress, damage or oil contamination.

Remove the vibration damper. (Mr. Unassailable input ::: I CAN NOT STRESS HOW OPTIONAL THIS STEP IS!!!!)

Remove the oscillation damper. Use counterhold 999 5433 . Work the oscillation damper loose.
Remove the timing belt
Checking the tensioner pulley and idler pulley

Check bearing wear:
spin the idler pulley and listen for noise.
If replacing with a new idler pulley, tighten to 24 Nm.
spin the tension pulley and listen for noise.
When replacing, screw the tension pulley into place using the centre screw.
Screw in the centre screw by hand.
Ensure that the tensioner fork is centred over the cylinder block rib.
Ensure that the Allen hole on the eccentric is at "10 o'clock".

Installing the timing belt

Note! The component can be reused unless it has been subjected to abnormal mechanical stress, damage or oil contamination.
Install the timing belt over the pulley on the crankshaft.
Install the oscillation damper. Tighten the center nut to 180 Nm. Use counterhold 999 5433 .
Remove the counterhold and install new screws. Tighten the screws to 25 Nm. Angle-tighten 30°
Install the new belt in the following order:
crankshaft
the idler pulley
intake camshaft pulley
exhaust camshaft pulley
water pump
belt tensioner.
Tighten the timing belt

This adjustment is carried out on a cold engine. A suitable temperature is approximately 20°C/68°F.
At higher temperatures, for example with the engine at operating temperature or at higher ambient temperature, the needle is further to the right.
The illustration shows the position of the indicator when aligning the timing belt tensioner at different temperatures.
For engine serial no. up to 3188688

Tension the timing belt as follows:
turn the crankshaft clockwise carefully until the timing belt is tensioned. The belt must be tensioned between the intake camshaft pulley, the idler pulley and the crankshaft
hold the centre screw on the belt tensioner fixed. Turn the belt tensioner eccentric counter-clockwise until the tensioner indicator passes the marked position.
Then turn the eccentric back so that the indicator reaches the marked position in the centre of the window
Secure the eccentric and tighten the center screw to 20 Nm.
Check that the indicator is in the correct position.
For engine serial no. from 3188689

Tension the timing belt as follows:

turn the crankshaft clockwise carefully until the timing belt is tensioned. The belt must be tensioned between the intake camshaft pulley, the idler pulley and the crankshaft
hold the centre screw on the belt tensioner fixed. Turn the belt tensioner eccentric clockwise until the tensioner indicator passes the marked position.
Then turn the eccentric back so that the indicator reaches the marked position in the centre of the window
Secure the eccentric and tighten the center screw to 20 Nm.
Check that the indicator is in the correct position.
Check

Checking markings:
press the belt to check that the indicator on the tensioner moves easily
install the upper timing belt cover
turn the crankshaft 2 turns. Check that the markings on the crankshaft and camshaft pulley correspond
check that the indicator on the belt tensioner is within the marked area.
Reinstall

Reinstall the removed components:
the front timing belt cover.
Tighten to 12 Nm..
the upper timing belt cover
install the auxiliaries belt
the servo reservoir
the expansion tank.
Note! Ensure that the hoses are positioned correctly.
the cross member. Tighten the screws at the suspension turret to 50 Nm and the screw for the engine bracket to 80 Nm.
Wipe clean and check the engine compartment
the cover in the wing liner
the front wheel according to Installing wheels .
Checking work
Function test:
Test drive the engine.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Vlvo-tech had a video on youtube but I can't find it right now.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i believe those videos have been removed as stated in my lat post but thanks! and thanks again Mr.unassailable, email recieved!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
sent.

Here is the text. You should have images and all in the email I sent.
With that much detail, you NEED to publish a How To thread! And with photos of course!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Please see my updated instructions. I had to print screen and upload so i figured I'd post to public. I think I got them all in the right places, but if something looks off please let me know and i'll change it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts