SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2015 V60CC with 108,000 miles on it. Love the car and the fact that it has the T5 engine. Before this, I had a 2009 S40 2.4i which I also liked and did a bunch of work on. In particular, the timing belt skipped at around 85k miles and I had to replace the head. So I've got some experience in this realm.

As this car has 108,000 miles on it and no paperwork indicating that the timing belt has been replaced, I am going to do that ASAP. I did the timing belt on the 2.4i engine, which is very similar to the T5 engine on the S40 (at least for the timing belt). I haven't found a good writeup for the T5 engine in the V60 (or S60) by searching this forum. I might just be missing it, though. Anyone care to point me in the right direction or confirm that the process is similar to older T5 engines?

I will also replace the drive belts and serpentine tensioner as well while I'm in there.

Suggestions for other preventative maintenance while I've got the stuff apart near the timing belt?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I can look up the procedure in VIDA and post later, but I think it's the same as other T5 engines.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can look up the procedure in VIDA and post later, but I think it's the same as other T5 engines.
Thanks for the reply! I actually have access to the VIDA instructions too, I just find them to be somewhat basic and vague sometimes (or use special tools that aren't really required).

Good to hear that it is likely going to be the same as other T5 engines though, that would make things pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I will also replace the drive belts and serpentine tensioner as well while I'm in there.

Suggestions for other preventative maintenance while I've got the stuff apart near the timing belt?

While you have it all apart and are in a replacement kind of mood, might as well do the water pump.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While you have it all apart and are in a replacement kind of mood, might as well do the water pump.
I’m considering the water pump. I’ve heard conflicting information on this. Some say if it’s not leaking don’t change it. Then again, there are over 100k miles on it so maybe it would be smart.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The general consensus seemed to be to do the water pump every other TB change. However, it's cheap insurance to do it at the same time and you can get a quality one from Aisin or that to keep the cost down.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The general consensus seemed to be to do the water pump every other TB change. However, it's cheap insurance to do it at the same time and you can get a quality one from Aisin or that to keep the cost down.
Good points.

Looking at FCPEuro, they have a GRAF one. I've never heard of the brand but usually stuff from FCPEuro is pretty good. Anybody have experience with GRAF?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have no idea but my mechanic who's done a few timing belt changes on an engine very similar to mine (the Ford Focus one...can't recall exact one) said it is unnecessary to do at first timing belt change which we just did. He said it's ok to wait till 200,000 for the water pump, but don't take my word on it, ask around. Hope Tech chimes in here, he's a mechanic, I'm just a shade tree one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea but my mechanic who's done a few timing belt changes on an engine very similar to mine (the Ford Focus one...can't recall exact one) said it is unnecessary to do at first timing belt change which we just did. He said it's ok to wait till 200,000 for the water pump, but don't take my word on it, ask around. Hope Tech chimes in here, he's a mechanic, I'm just a shade tree one.
You and me both!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I’m considering the water pump. I’ve heard conflicting information on this. Some say if it’s not leaking don’t change it. Then again, there are over 100k miles on it so maybe it would be smart.
No need to do the water pump on these. They very rarely EVER leak. And as long as you change the coolant every 4 years you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Good points.

Looking at FCPEuro, they have a GRAF one. I've never heard of the brand but usually stuff from FCPEuro is pretty good. Anybody have experience with GRAF?
No experience with GRAF. I skipped mine when I did my second timing belt job. When I do my third I'll change it out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All done. It’s running well. I replaced all the components except for the ac belt and the water pump. I have the AC belt but I needed the car this weekend so I didn’t want to cut the old one and not be able to get the new one on.

I also replaced the spark plugs. When I removed them to make turning over the engine easier one of the spark plug cylinders (holes? Not sure of the correct term) had a tone of dirt and white residue in it. Not sure what that was due to (just bought the car a few weeks ago and didn’t pull the spark plugs before purchase). I cleaned it out and did my best to make sure no debris fell down into the cylinder.

In any case in regard to my original question, this T5 is virtually the same procedure as say the S40/V50 T5. The serptentine tensioner setup is different and so is removing the engine mounts but otherwise it’s a very similar experience so referring to those write ups will be helpful for anyone who is looking to do it but don’t necessarily have experience with this engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts