SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I am doing some service to my 2001 C70 and I just started the timing belt & water pump replacement. I read a phew forum post and I am still not quite sure about my timing marks and I havn't done one of these for years.
My cam gears weren't marked with paint but I found the notches and marked them with paint.
The only way that they both line-up is in the 12 o'clock position and when they are at 12 o'clock I think the crank is on its mark - 2 sets of circles indented in the crank pulley and what looks like a pieces of the timing cover between the two sets of circles.
Does that sound right? I think that I am on the marks but I wanted to be sure before removing & installing the timing belt.

and

How tight does the tension need to be? should the belt twist half way? That's what sticks in my mind.
thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After thinking about it I put the top timing belt cover back on and the cam timing marks were very clear and I was on the money, I should have thought about it more before posting, sorry.
I still don't know about the timing belt tension adjustment thou
thanks

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The tensioner is self adjusting, and at times it feels very loose. You just have to bolt it on with the correct initial setting using the little metal fingers. Here's the guide:

And if you watch it while it's running, it will wiggle back and forth. Kind of unsettling really, but I've done a few following this and all are fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Make sure the tensioner registration hex is around 7 o clock. After that tighten the tensioner bolt.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already finished the job, I cant remember were the hex was positioned but I adjusted it quite a phew times before I was happy with it. And I turned the engine over by hand quite a phew times and everything looks good.
Thanks everybody for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts