SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes car threw a CEL last night, so we dropped it off at the dealership this morning. They called and said the timing belt jumped a few teeth and will need to be replaced along with the tensioner. Looking at about 590 for the belt and 180 for the tensioner. Here are my questions:

1) I think this is a little earlier for this part to go, should I push with the dealership to cover most, if not all, of the cost since 1) they just completed the 48k service and the 2) car JUST went out of warrenty?

2) She drove about 35 miles or so with the CEL on, do you think any damage was done?

Any help is much appreciated. Car has been pretty reliable until this point, bum luck this happens right out of warrenty.

· Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,280 Posts
Re: Timing belt jumped few teeth @ 51k (NOLAPrieur)

Definitely early for the part to go.

My concern would be HOW and WHY the belt skipped.

Be glad you didn't bend any valves!

· Registered
218 Posts
yah definitely early for sure, its a shame that your car is out of warrenty so I doubt the dealer will cover all of the cost. I would talk to one of the mechanic at the shop and ask them what they think caused the belt to slip

· Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,280 Posts
Re: (NorthernS40)

At 51k miles, you should be able to get a goodwill repair. Still WAAAAYYY too early for a t-belt to fail.

As for bent valves, you'd have heard it and the car would probably be undrivable.

· Registered
6,882 Posts
Call the main Volvo Customer care and complain. They can make sure it is covered under warranty and that the dealer plays ball...I was told by a customer service rep that if it is within a reasonably close time from the warranty expiration they can usually cover it...Good Luck!

· Registered
3,765 Posts
Re: (carreragt7)

Definitely call VCNA.

You are super lucky there was no damage, these engines are reeeeally tight as far as valve clearance.

· Registered
2,165 Posts

You would hear some really bad noises had you bent some valves or a ticking sound that would be easily dicernable. The timing belt is a fairly simple concept to keep all the engines components in sync with eachother. As RPMs rise and engine speed increases and that force on the belt would be a factor to get it to strech. This is where the tensioner comes in. I am guessing that the component designed to keep it all tight failed to do its job (tensioner) commonly hydraulic. The synthetic rubber used in the belts is easily good for 100K or 6 years unless an adverse factor gets thrown in the mix like major overheating, abuse, or a sharp object finding its way up in the engine bay. Regardless, a good unwritten rule is always do the water pump and gasket at the same time. It is alot cheaper while the mechanic is already in there. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
9,120 Posts

Man other dealers must be retarded or something... being that you are just out of your warranty and sounds like you get your car serviced thru them they should have taken the initiative to call there rep and see if they would good will that.

Let alone actually investigate as to why it skipped.... thats just ridiculous that they didnt. I wouldnt be allowed to let the car go prior to diagnosing as to why it failed in the first place. Guess every dealer is different but i keep hearing stuff like this and am always surprised

Long story short, call the dealer or customer care regarding why they didnt investigate the cause of the fault and if they would cover the repair.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

(update) They have agreed to pay for parts only (knocks off about 200ish). I have talked with Volvo NA a few times, they got involved and told me that parts only is the best they can do. Looks like I lost this one, as well this dealership lost my future business.

· Registered
640 Posts
I personally would continue to bitch at the corporate level. Get as high as you possibly can. If you dont get the answer you want try to get his boss etc.... its a pain but compeltely worth it. Did this on my other car and it saved about 4000 to get a new tranny because i finally got corporate to replace it....they still made money though because i bought another GM vehicle after that one..so it works out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.