SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit 70k on my R!

Looking for timing belt to swap out. I'm confused about the part no.

Here's what Rockauto has listed on their site If you know, please chime in & advise. Thanks!

GOODYEAR Part # GTKWP331 INCLUDES WATER PUMP; Includes 2 Tensioners; Timing Belt
Water Pump Kit; Interference Engine Application
$167.99

GATES Part # TCKWP331 PowerGrip Premium OE Timing Belt Component Kit W/Water Pump; 4 Components (1 Belt, 1 Tensioner, 1 Idler, 1 Water Pump)
Eng. No. 3188688 & Before WHAT IS THIS?
$129.79

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
What year is your R? Your engine code will be on the timing belt cover if I remember correctly.. The engine number is the build date.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Kevlar

If you need a new belt, Viva has an aftermarket Kevlar one for $99. Not sure if its necessary, but why not: it's Kevlar and its blue.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You need belt, tensioner, and idler. At 70k I would not expect water pump to be bad. The failure point is typically the idler or tensioner, not the belt itself.

You may want to consider serpent belt replacement too, since it will need to be removed.

My OEMwater pump was fine at 200k miles, both bearing and impeller. I did change it since I had the pump.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, will look into that. I have a 2007. I was jst browsing IPD site for black friday sale. Noticed they recommend 70k timing belt change.

·
Registered
753 Posts
How do you know if you are in need of a new timing belt?
If you see hair line crack at your timing belt.
You should replace it ASAP.
Usually it's a regular maintaince to be done between 70k~100k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts