SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new timing belt for 2004 and I know there are two versions, depending on the engine serial number. We have two Rs both 2004 and judging by the engine number one is newer 3188689+ and the other one is the older one 314..

What is the difference between these two TBs and are they interchangeable? I thought all Rs have exactly the same engine.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Same 2.5L base motor sure but some of the components are different, especially in a first year product. Some have been upgraded to be better.

I believe the difference between the 2 are the tensioner.

up too 318XXXX

After 318XXXX

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I just bought all the parts needed for a timing belt service from FCP. Their sales guys confirmed the correct parts via the VIN I supplied. I can't find the engine serial number, can anyone point out where I should find it? I'm sure I'm just missing it somehow.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I just bought all the parts needed for a timing belt service from FCP. Their sales guys confirmed the correct parts via the VIN I supplied. I can't find the engine serial number, can anyone point out where I should find it? I'm sure I'm just missing it somehow.
It's a sticker on the TB cover.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
yes the stamping on the block itself.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same 2.5L base motor sure but some of the components are different, especially in a first year product. Some have been upgraded to be better.

I believe the difference between the 2 are the tensioner.

up too 318XXXX

After 318XXXX
Thanks for that :thumbup:
I think I ordered the correct parts, 31339840 and 30731727, but they spotted an "error" and replaced the parts, so both are 30731727 (because that's what it matches against the VIN).

It's a real bummer that you cannot match the TB kit to the VIN, like any other part, but you have to check against the engine number as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts