SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 with 67,000 not hard miles. I will not get to the suggested mileage for a long time so is 10 years a good time to change? I know it has been covered and I read the answer somewhere but could not find using search. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Certainly wouldn't hurt to change the timing belt. My 07 is at 92k so I'll be doing mine shortly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Peace of mind is worth so much more than what it will cost to change.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Think of the bearings in the idler and tensioner as little frag grenades set on a timer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd do it... lol when i was researching doing mine i coincidentally saw 2-3 V70R/S60Rs for sale for peanuts with snapped timing belts. that was enough for me.

Not sure what you're comfort level is but i didn't find the job all that hard. I'm fairly mechanically and automotively inclined but it was my first T belt. I did it and a whole assortment of other things on top of it in less than a work day with a buddy including lunch in between. It was literally the first time I worked on the Volvo after i bought it so there was some learning my way around the engine bay as well. Its actually pretty roomy compared to others i've worked on. I also did it without removing the crank pulley as well... for Contitech Serp, Serp tentioner, OEM T belt, idler, tensioner, AISIN Water pump (Amazon), pump bolts(donno if i needed these) it cost me about $320 from FCP euro/amazon and half a day's work. a lotta people say you dont need the pump till the second... but for $60 i figured why not. The old one looked great when it came out FWIW.

rofl @ thaxman... and excellent analogy that applies to most cars.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Changed mine in my 2006 R with 65k on it. Belt looked OK, but tensioner felt a little loose for my liking lol. Won't hurt to do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Taking advantage of their Black Friday sale, I ordered a timing belt kit from IPD. My '05 V70R is just shy of the 112,500 service interval, but I don't take any chances on a 10 year old car.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
2007 with 67,000 not hard miles. I will not get to the suggested mileage for a long time so is 10 years a good time to change? I know it has been covered and I read the answer somewhere but could not find using search. Thanks in advance.
The timing belt is a must-do at the time and/or mileage interval. It's not worth the risk and known to have failures.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Taking advantage of their Black Friday sale, I ordered a timing belt kit from IPD. My '05 V70R is just shy of the 112,500 service interval, but I don't take any chances on a 10 year old car.
I too bought this kit. Car is 06 with 106k so right around time to change it sounds. Looked at the sticky on here on how to change. Seems pretty straight forward, althought I've never done a belt change.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have 177k on mine, and 57k on the belt. I'm changing my belt tomorrow because my water pump failed since it wasn't changed on belt 1.

Translation - get the water pump if you are in there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd get the kit with the water pump and change it. My wasn't leaking but there was almost neglible play in the water pump shaft, but when I compared it to 0 play in the new shaft I was glad I did it. It's not hard, a Harbor Frieght electric impact made short work of that Crank Pulley bolt and the rest was cake. I did almost strip one of the 4 10mm bolts on the crank but I quickly switched to a 6 point 10mm socket and all was well. So I would use all 6 point sockets and you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I'd get the kit with the water pump and change it. My wasn't leaking but there was almost neglible play in the water pump shaft, but when I compared it to 0 play in the new shaft I was glad I did it. It's not hard, a Harbor Frieght electric impact made short work of that Crank Pulley bolt and the rest was cake. I did almost strip one of the 4 10mm bolts on the crank but I quickly switched to a 6 point 10mm socket and all was well. So I would use all 6 point sockets and you shouldn't have any issues.
I did the timing belt and water pump swap without removing the crank pulley. I would do it that way again.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How do you ensure the teeth are lined up on the crank pulley? I can mark the cam shafts easy on the belt but can you see the marks on the crank/get in there to make one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How do you ensure the teeth are lined up on the crank pulley? I can mark the cam shafts easy on the belt but can you see the marks on the crank/get in there to make one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's been a while. I took my crank pulley off because I had access to shop air and my air tools. But I'm pretty sure you can see the mark with the pulley on might need a mirror and light though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I did my timing belt it was the first time doing what I would consider major work on a Volvo. I consider it major because of ramifications if you mess it up. I did it all with the help of this video and very much believe that anyone with any sort of mechanical know how and access to tools can do it too with no problem. I changed out everything(water pump, timing belt, tensionor, idler and serp belt) and got the kit from FCP Euro.

All the worry about a check engine light if off was just that, worry. I did however make sure to crank the engine over about 3 times before starting to make sure I was good. Just because I was nervous about my first big job on my new to me car.

Air gun will pull off crank pully no problem. For the record I ave always used 6 point because I was taught that 12 will always be more likely to strip so those 10's just use good sockets on and PB Blaster is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_zH8g8Fow

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
It's been a while. I took my crank pulley off because I had access to shop air and my air tools. But I'm pretty sure you can see the mark with the pulley on might need a mirror and light though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yep. You can see index mark on the crank pulley from the top... Line it up take off the belt and bingo.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also sharpied a bunch of extra marks on all the pulleys and nearby surfaces since those were all a pain to verify quickly to see if they moved

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts