SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have just purchased an Ice White 2005 V50 2.4i with 67000 miles. After my previous 2 cars and not even being done with high school, this is the car I plan to keep through college. My question is, while the car does have low miles, and to me it appears to be driven by someone elderly, likely meaning it was well maintained and never abused, should I replace the timing belt and water pump due to age?

Thank you,
Phillip

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
507 Posts
Well.... my opinion is: Yes, you have to change the timing belt because of age. I don’t think necessary to replace the water pump. If it is not leaking or the pulley does not have play, it is still good. If you replace the timing belt, that is the perfect moment to check it out.

Another thing I suggest you, is to change the coolant, with age it loses its properties, and that is not good!.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. To do a timing belt chain yourself, are there any special tools required, and can I do it on my own (keeping in mind my mechanical skills are semi basic). If not, how much does it typically cost to have the timing belt and pump done at a mechanic?

Thanks,
Phillip

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't think it requires many specialized tools... the crank pulley will be tight - I used an air impact for that, but maybe you can bump the starter. Torque wrench for tightening it all up might be nice. Jack and stands are required. You need Torx bits, too.

I would not do the water pump at this mileage, but I would probably replace the tensioner and idler.

There are a few ways you can do a lot of damage if you mess this up, so if your skills are really basic, it would be a good idea to find a mechanically oriented friend and get him to help you. But if you can follow the directions in the online guides precisely, and you have the wrench-turning skills not to undertorque, crossthread, round off or break fasteners, then you can probably do it yourself.

The key is getting the timing right. Get all the marks lined up before you take the belt off, and then check to make sure they are all good when you put the belt on.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i AW55-50 / 2007 C70 T5 AW55-50
507 Posts
It is always a good idea after the belt is installed to turn the crankshaft manually a couple times to check that the pistons are not hitting the valves. I always do that regardless of having the timing marks right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I just did this. Expect to pay $700 not including parts. I couldn't have done it without and impact gun. Aligning the gears with the belt has to be precise, if not it will ruin the engine.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It is possible to replace the belt without removing the crank pulley though. Its a hair trickier but is possible.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing your first timing belt on this car. It's very tight and more difficult than others. If you don't have a good flat work space with a floor jack and jack stands don't even try it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Don't do it your self. It is an extremely tight job. Took me 2 days ( mostly just figuring out how to put it back together) and you need a second person to help align things up.

Not like the old 240 days . We changed one on the side of the road in -10c winter weather in about an hour. Then continued our trip

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright thanks! I will be looking to have it done professionally then in the very near future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts