SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've owned my 2002 S60 awd (silver w/graphite) for almost four months. I've followed the various waxing threads for some time and have seen that there is a recommendation to let the new paint *set up* before waxing/polishing, etc. I cannot recall a concensus about the *time* to wait before tackling the project. The manual notes that "polishing" shouldn't be necessary for a year, but that doesn't really get at my question. What is your recommendation? Also, it seems that a lot of you like Imperial Leather Conditioner. Can it be purchased (in the U.S.) anywhere other than through the internet? I can't seem to find it anywhere other than the net. TIA.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I, too, am wondering when you're supposed to do your first wax/polish. Mine's 4 months old, also, but it appears to have been built in January, so the paint <I>has</I> been on there for 7 months now. <P>I am also eager to hear your recommendations as far as products, brands, wax vs. polish, and so forth. Also, is there any rhyme or reason to the time of year that you wax/polish? Is doing so BEFORE winter a good idea if you live in the North (for snow/salt reasons)? <BR>

·
Registered
625 Posts
You guys can go ahead and wax your car now.<P>It is really not nessesary to wax your car that often if all you want is protection. Maybe once every 2 years (if you do clay, polish, wax) or once a year if you just wax.<P>However, if you want your car to look good, go ahead and wax it once every two months.<P>As far as waxes go, many people choose Mcguires, Zymol, Klasse is also good and easy.<P>However out of all the waxes/polishes I've tried. The best is definitely Zaino. It is the shiniest, lasts the longest, and the car is very very easy to clean afterwards, unlike most waxes which tends to stick to dirt quite well.<BR><P>

·
Registered
287 Posts
I bought something called a "cleaner wax", Mequiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Cleaner Wax. It's supposedly a cleaner wax that also polishes and protects (whatever that means). I've only done my rear & sides so far, and I plan to tackle the nose, hood, and roof tomorrow morning. It's looking pretty good so far! <P>I must admit I was a little unnerved when I saw the white waxy build-up on my dark gray trim pieces, but I remembered Yannis's stiff-bristled-brush comments. I let it all dry completely, and I grabbed an old toothbrush. It worked like a charm! The trim pieces are free of the "over-wiped" wax/polish, and the painted surfaces are much smoother now. They feel silky when the towel glides across them, rather than sticky. <P>As I mentioned above, I don't really know any technical reasons why you'd wax and then polish, and nobody really responded with any compelling reasons for keeping the steps separate, so I bought the "all-in-one". <P>I'm still open for any reasons why I should do a separate polishing step, of course, but for the time being, I'm happy as a clam with the Meguiar's all-in-one stuff mentioned above. I will, however, keep my eyes open for Zaino and Zymol, among others. (I had to go with what they had, because this was the only time I had available to do this!) Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Your help is always much appreciated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the true sense, a "polish" will clean your paint and in some cases impart oils or fillers. Some "polishes" will remove oxidation and swirl marks and prep your paint for a wax or sealer so once applied there are no visable swirl marks seen "in" the paint. Why would you have to wait for the paint to "set up"? The car came from the factory with the paint being baked, then it traveled here and sat on the lot\showroom. That's a myth, you don't have to wait and the longer you do the longer your new car goes unprotected! The cleaner wax might be a good quick choice, easy to apply and it will give you a shine but it also contains abrasives. The Klasse All In one Sealant is a great choice, it's a polish and a sealant. Apply a non abrasive wax over the sealant for a deep shine and long lasting protection! Go here <A HREF="http://www.autopia-carport.com" TARGET=_blank>www.autopia-carport.com</A> and find out more.<BR>Lisa62 did you ever get the tar off your car?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i think for new cars, you don't really have to worry about the condition of the paint. i would just put on a good quality wax and check every time i wash to see if i need to reapply.<P>for my honda it's about every quarter b/c it's not garaged and it's baking in the california sun all the time. plus, i cheat--i only do the affected areas which is usually just the hood, roof, trunk.<P>for my wifes 850 it's much less--like 9-12 months or when i feel like it--but i usually do the whole car.<P>however, when i did my mom-in-law's black 850 with tree sap--i pulled all the stops. paint cleaner and clay, polish, and then wax. it took forever, but it came out pretty good.<P>I use stuff from Meguiars, but that's because it's what is at the local auto parts store.<P>the cleaner and clay is supposed to clean your paint--remove junk while leaving your paint relatively unscathed. it usually has abrasives. most people say once a year, but not all the time because it is abrasive.<P>the polish from Meguiars seems to be just polish to help bring out the luster of the paint. it's supposed to bring out the vibrancy and deepen the color of the paint. it doesn't seem to have any abrasives.<P>the wax is definitely for protection of the paint so that new junk doesn't stick to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: (Lisa62)

Hi Guys, The folks at the factory says that I needed to wait 3 mths before taking it to a automatic car wash and 6 mths for waxing. This was all so the paint and the clearcoat can cure.<BR><BR>
[Modified by J. Mitchell, 1:17 PM 10-9-2002]

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: (J. Mitchell)

For a car that "just rolled out "of the factory, that is true about the wax...car wash? I don't think so unless you are going to have King Kong wash it and buff it. As a general rule, I avoid typical car washes, try the "touchless" systems. Wash by hand. The dealership that is going to deliver your car, should apply a very soft and diluted wax on your car. Wait for the hard stuff at least 3 months unless your car was produced months ago and had been sitting at the factory/dealer lot for while.<p><br>Yannis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts