SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sadly last saturday my princess took a beating on a cold snowy night. The beating was bad enough that i have to put her down.

I loved driving this car more than anything else i have been in. It had been a total love hate relationship with all the problems and money i had to throw into this car, but after every repair driving the car justified every penny spent!

I was rear ended at a cross walk while i was stopped by a 2016 dodge ram doing approx 50kph. The R handled it like a champ and i walked away with not a scratch or bruise on me. With that being said i am now in the market for another volvo! looking at a XC60 r design or a newer V60 r design.

We would like to say thanks for the help and info from the crew in these forums over the years!

Here she is on day 1 and another pic on day 2614... her final day.
IMG_0588.jpg
volvo smashy.jpg

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow that's sad. But amazing it held up so well! Glad it did it's job, that's why we all buy these cars anyway right? Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That is sad. The other day it was snowing here, I was plodding along doing about 60 mph, the speed limit is 70.

People were passing left and right, mostly trucks SUV's and even semis. I knew what was coming, about 5 miles up the road the was a car accident. Lady hit the center divider hard enough to total her car.

It's almost always guys in trucks driving like **** in the snow here.

Like show how 4wheel drive will help them stop the 8,000 lb truck when they come up on some one stopped in the road (which happens all the time here)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sorry to see this but definitely glad that you're okay.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Dang, so sad, glad you're okay. Hopefully a crafty Volvo owner is able to get that Atacama interior.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Always the pricks in their compensation trucks. Condolences.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Sad to see this happen to another VR Atacama.

Cue the vultures... Interior is only good for 04s unfortunately, and to install on an 05+ you need to swap the bolsters and seat skins onto the seats, you cannot swap the seats as the electronics are completely different.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vultures have been in contact already!

I am still waiting to hear back from my insurance company as to what is happening. Not sure what to expect for a buyout on this. Any ideas?

04 with 240000k on it good condition overall. all maintenance over and above normal.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
vultures have been in contact already!

I am still waiting to hear back from my insurance company as to what is happening. Not sure what to expect for a buyout on this. Any ideas?

04 with 240000k on it good condition overall. all maintenance over and above normal.
As far as a buy back, I was offered $1950 for my SapphiKap '07 VR with 138K miles. But I think I am going to be able to keep it out of being totaled.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
As far as a buy back, I was offered $1950 for my SapphiKap '07 VR with 138K miles. But I think I am going to be able to keep it out of being totaled.
:eek:

That's insanely low. I'd definitely look around for some 07's for sale and send those over to the insurance company. Glad you are considering staying in the R/LR3 club!

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
too bad that's in Canada, would've been interested in the atacama

·
Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
I think he meant that it was $1950 to BUY it back. That sounds a little high to buy a totaled car that is 9-10 years old. Might break even on a part out but its a lot of work.
Oh, you might be right.

"WHY WON'T IT READ?!"

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think he meant that it was $1950 to BUY it back. That sounds a little high to buy a totaled car that is 9-10 years old. Might break even on a part out but its a lot of work.
Correct, I was offered $10500 to total the car, whence I could buy it back for $1950.

However, I have already replaced the headlight and rearview mirror for safety reasons, and I explained to the total-loss agent that I would be willing to only claim the amount right up to the 80%-ish damage value to keep it from being totaled. She was actually happy about that option (less the have to pay out). So in the end, a new estimate brought the damages to $8500, they will cut me a check, the car avoids a salvaged title, and the value of the car stays higher than it would have.

The other scenario was they cut me a check for $10500 (before negotiating), they pay off the car for $7500, I get $3K, I buy the car back for $1950, and then I'm left with $1050 to make repairs with.

The first scenario is much more appealing. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts