SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 98 V70R with 118,000. The shocks and struts have never leaked or given me an issue. I'm wondering if it's time to just replace them anyway? It looks like in the rear I'm stuck with the OEM Nivomat that Tasca says are discontinued but seem to be available from FCP and IPD. Front struts, Sachs or maybe Bilstein touring? I'm mostly looking to keep a nice ride on really bad roads where I live.

Any other bushings, etc, you would replace at the same time? Everything appears to be 100%, just trying to stay ahead of things. Thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You could do a conversation on the rear and get rid of the nivomats for a lot less money than putting new ones in. I did it on my Platinum about a year ago. Springs, shocks, mounts. Spent about $250 for parts. Installed myself.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Due by age pretty much.

Go with v70 base awd rear springs and shocks to get away from nivomats. Easy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a 98 V70R with 118,000. The shocks and struts have never leaked or given me an issue. I'm wondering if it's time to just replace them anyway? It looks like in the rear I'm stuck with the OEM Nivomat that Tasca says are discontinued but seem to be available from FCP and IPD. Front struts, Sachs or maybe Bilstein touring? I'm mostly looking to keep a nice ride on really bad roads where I live.

Any other bushings, etc, you would replace at the same time? Everything appears to be 100%, just trying to stay ahead of things. Thanks.
I would suggest those nice IPD strut mounts and spring seats. It is just a little more money and well worth it, tightens up that whole connection.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
I would suggest those nice IPD strut mounts and spring seats. It is just a little more money and well worth it, tightens up that whole connection.
No those are garbage. Seem three sets last under a year including on my own cars.

XC90 spring seats only.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Due by age pretty much.

Go with v70 base awd rear springs and shocks to get away from nivomats. Easy.
Is that a simple swap? I thought that was a really involved conversion. I would love to not bother with the Nivomats. Any chance of a "how to" on that anywhere?

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Is that a simple swap? I thought that was a really involved conversion. I would love to not bother with the Nivomats. Any chance of a "how to" on that anywhere?
Disconnect and remove nivomats. Dissassemble rear suspension. Remove spring, install new non nivomats spring. Reassemble. Use new shock. That’s it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Disconnect and remove nivomats. Dissassemble rear suspension. Remove spring, install new non nivomats spring. Reassemble. Use new shock. That’s it.
What spring would you recommend for an R to keep the ride balanced and keep the proper ride height?

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
What spring would you recommend for an R to keep the ride balanced and keep the proper ride height?
There’s only one awd wagon regular height load spring.

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Looks like they are currently unavailable, but you can use the part number to search them out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like they are currently unavailable, but you can use the part number to search them out.

I found FCP has them. Do you know if my car will still have the stock stance with those springs on? I thought the R was lower than the standard V70 AWD.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is how my Platinum sits right now.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! Is the angle of the picture, or is it slightly low in the rear?

·
Registered
258 Posts
The road has a bit of an incline.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The road has a bit of an incline.
The rear suspension of your platinum has almost nothing in common with the rear suspension of a 98-00 V70R.
Regular FWD springs will not work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts