SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi's 2017 Q7 offers Traffic Jam Assist which they describe as semi autonomous driving up to 37mph. I think its time for an update to the programming of Volvo's Pilot Assist, 40-55mph would be great! how about it Volvo, lets keep a good thing going!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Audi's 2017 Q7 offers Traffic Jam Assist which they describe as semi autonomous driving up to 37mph. I think its time for an update to the programming of Volvo's Pilot Assist, 40-55mph would be great! how about it Volvo, lets keep a good thing going!
Keep up with the...2017 Q7? How about the 2017 Q7 keep up with the XC90 especially in light of the fact that their TDI model will take months and months before it sees any showrooms. The Q7 will have a lot of catching up to do... ;)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, beat them down on the TDI! Ouch ;) I must admit that I am no fan of Audi starting with the electrical issues of the 1980's. This is my blatant attempt to increase the speed Pilot Assist can function. I am a huge fan of Volvo's semi autonomous driving features and I'm sure the XC90 has the capability to be used at higher speed. I'm very much looking forward to this and hope us early adopters are not cut out providing it is a software update. I don't expect Volvo to go through the trouble of changing out hardware like sensors or modules....but if it's a software update then offer it! I want it! I need it! :peace:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can it be the first jail broken XC90?....;)
Probably Lane Keep Assist, which is great, but it just keeps you from crossing the painted lines. Pilot Assist keeps you more centered in the lane.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Pilot Assist goes up to 50km/h, so about 31mph (and depending on the situation mine went up to 55km/h before handing over to Lane Keep), is the difference really significant? (39mph-59.5km/h)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Pilot Assist goes up to 50km/h, so about 31mph (and depending on the situation mine went up to 55km/h before handing over to Lane Keep), is the difference really significant? (39mph-59.5km/h)
Very different. In US, speed limit on many local roads is 35mph and cars are running at 35 to 45mph. Pilot assist is desired because it handles curves guaranteed while LKA doesn't.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yeh here comes some peer pressure. Gradually every luxury car will become more or less semi autonomous.
Based on the inability of many drivers to even activate turn signals, I assumed most of those cars were already in "semi-autonomous" mode : )

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes I agree I sue pilot assist almost dayly in the US and it defently needs to go up to at least 45 mph to be more versatile. 30 is for really have traffic 45 would cover more of the typica rush hour traffic

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree with the speed limit issue. Here the speed limit is 50 km/h on most city roads. That means most people drive 55-60. I've tried Pilot Assist several times. It seems great, but it always keeps turning off because the person in front of me goes faster than 50 km/h.
I suppose the speed limit is for safety or some legal reasons. Another alternative would be for Pilot Assist to drive without a leading car. That would probably add other problems in regards to safety, though.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree with the speed limit issue. Here the speed limit is 50 km/h on most city roads. That means most people drive 55-60. I've tried Pilot Assist several times. It seems great, but it always keeps turning off because the person in front of me goes faster than 50 km/h.
I suppose the speed limit is for safety or some legal reasons. Another alternative would be for Pilot Assist to drive without a leading car. That would probably add other problems in regards to safety, though.
Pilot Assist without the leading car would be a great addition! :beer:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts