SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the schedule for an oil change on this vehicle?

According to the owners manual:
"Checking the oil level in a new car is especially
important before the first scheduled oil
change".

Well, we can't do that as Volvo has gone cheap and removed the dip stick. (no spare tire, the crap OEM Contis, and a battery that died after six months) This is a first in twenty years of owning Volvos!!!
I cannot find the mileage required for a "scheduled oil change" in the owners manual. Perhaps it's the wrong manual?

My dash indicates it's time for scheduled maintenance.
The Sensus upon start up would also indicate something to that effect requesting a response of Postpone/Schedule.

TIA.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Every 10,000 miles or sooner. I usually go at 7,500-8,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a 2015.5 V60 and on page 324 of the owner's manual it states:
Periodic maintenance helps minimize emissions
NOTE
Refer to your Warranty and Service
Records Information booklet for a
comprehensive service and maintenance
schedule up to 150,000 miles
(240,000 km). This program contains
inspections and services necessary for
the proper function of your vehicle and
includes components that affect vehicle
emissions.

• The Warranty and Service Records
Information booklet also contains
detailed information concerning the
warranties that apply to your vehicle.

You should have the Warranty and Service booklet in your owner's packet.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does anyone know the schedule for an oil change on this vehicle?

According to the owners manual:
"Checking the oil level in a new car is especially
important before the first scheduled oil
change".

Well, we can't do that as Volvo has gone cheap and removed the dip stick. (no spare tire, the crap OEM Contis, and a battery that died after six months) This is a first in twenty years of owning Volvos!!!
I cannot find the mileage required for a "scheduled oil change" in the owners manual. Perhaps it's the wrong manual?

My dash indicates it's time for scheduled maintenance.
The Sensus upon start up would also indicate something to that effect requesting a response of Postpone/Schedule.

TIA.
Gotta be a quick message as I don't have a lot of time tonight, but I had the 10K mile service today (a little early). (I've also got a 2015.5 S60) - I had the check engine light come on just shy of 9K miles. Thought maybe it was the oil. Learned there was no dip stick. Except I guess me. Took into Volvo in the AM. They claimed the reason was software needed to be upgraded! I'll scan a shot of the service record codes in later. Everything was covered except they wanted $25 to rotate tires. Apparently, that's not included in the "maintenance contract". That was a new one to me.

On the way out of the service office, I asked mechanic how you can find out what exactly the check engine idiot light is for and he said you have to push the button. What button though :)

Hell, it's a lease. And I lease these days because I don't want to think about cars anymore :)

But I would like to find out more about how one can tell what service is required and if that info can be found via the console.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
But I would like to find out more about how one can tell what service is required and if that info can be found via the console.
This would be nice but I doubt the capability exists. We've had our second check engine light in 60 days, so yeah I would like to know if it is something minor. My VW requires a VagCom cable (not cheap) to read engine codes. Not sure if a similar product exists for the Volvo. I know little about this car so I don't expect to be fixing anything myself anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This would be nice but I doubt the capability exists. We've had our second check engine light in 60 days, so yeah I would like to know if it is something minor. My VW requires a VagCom cable (not cheap) to read engine codes. Not sure if a similar product exists for the Volvo. I know little about this car so I don't expect to be fixing anything myself anyway.
Yeah. I was trying to figure out if there was a way to get at least an error message or something -- even a brief summary -- of the problem in English. I'll read through the manual some more but hell, I couldn't figure out how to at least see if they'd tell you how low you were on oil or if there was anyway to supply a general reason for service.

I mean -- do you really want to go to the dealership and find out you just need the software upgrade? There should be way to distinguish between urgent and non-urgent attention required!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gotta be a quick message as I don't have a lot of time tonight, but I had the 10K mile service today (a little early). (I've also got a 2015.5 S60) - I had the check engine light come on just shy of 9K miles. Thought maybe it was the oil. Learned there was no dip stick. Except I guess me. Took into Volvo in the AM. They claimed the reason was software needed to be upgraded! I'll scan a shot of the service record codes in later. Everything was covered except they wanted $25 to rotate tires. Apparently, that's not included in the "maintenance contract". That was a new one to me.

On the way out of the service office, I asked mechanic how you can find out what exactly the check engine idiot light is for and he said you have to push the button. What button though :)

Hell, it's a lease. And I lease these days because I don't want to think about cars anymore :)

I'm giving this a try; attaching the Sensus message for maintenance. My S60 showed this after six months with 2Kmiles on it.
....If the jpg doesn't show would someone kindly PM me on the procedure. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Volvo puts all of its manuals online at the link below. Your interval is 10k or 1 year.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/volvo-vehicle-information-library/Pages/om.aspx
I just got off the phone with my service manager earlier today and she said it's usually 10k/1yr but for the 13s and up they are starting to do 6mo intervals for the first year after sale. And she also confirmed that's there's an ECM update that someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I just got off the phone with my service manager earlier today and she said it's usually 10k/1yr but for the 13s and up they are starting to do 6mo intervals for the first year after sale. And she also confirmed that's there's an ECM update that someone else mentioned.

Interesting. Did they say why?

·
Registered
745 Posts

This is how it worked for my 2015 XC60. First service at 6mos, then a year or 16,000kms then every 16,000kms after that. So we had one at 8,000kms coming up on 16,000 then every 16,000 after that.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I looked at one of the menus in the car about a month ago, said we had 7k and i think 9 months to next service. We picked up the car in April at FDC, but end of May at dealer. At the time I checked, it occurred to me the dealer probably reset it at delivery time and set it for a year later or 10k miles.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Couple notes on 15.5 S60/V60:

- Checking Engine Oil Level: easily done by anyone. You don't need to open the hood. You sit in the car and use the driver stalk to scroll through system options. Oil level is shown if car is in rest and has been sitting for several hours to ensure it is accurate. This is just like my Jaguar and most every other decent car being made today.
- Tire rotation: no longer needed. This is just like my Jaguar and most every other decent car being made today. If you do you should be careful tires have even wear to not disrupt car handling. Stored tires should be reinstalled on same location they wear originally installed. As per the Volvo owners manual.

In regards to batteries - what is it with batteries failing so quickly? This happened to me as well on my 12 XC60 and Jaguars. Clearly an area that requires further work to improve reliability. Maybe Volvo can work with Tesla on this....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pic Post

Does anyone have access to Flickr, Photobucket etc.?
I can email the dash and sensus messages to you for posting so all can see these notifications.

Thank You....

·
Registered
74 Posts

- Checking Engine Oil Level: easily done by anyone. You don't need to open the hood. You sit in the car and use the driver stalk to scroll through system options. Oil level is shown if car is in rest and has been sitting for several hours to ensure it is accurate. This is just like my Jaguar and most every other decent car being made today.
So, having what is essentially an idiot light as a replacement for checking your oil level is a good idea? Lots of threads on this subject and the consensus is it is a bad idea for obvious reasons. Only the Volvo designers (and apparently Jaguar designers) think this is a good idea (i.e. most owners won't open their hoods because they don't know what they are doing).

·
Registered
701 Posts
So, having what is essentially an idiot light as a replacement for checking your oil level is a good idea? ....
Anyone who calls the new electronic oil indicator on the S60/V60 an "idiot light" obviously hasn't used it. It is much more than just an idiot light. Yes, I have seen a certain generation of folks complain about the new oil checking procedures on boards for BMW, Jaguar, and other manufacturers. But the new procedures are really much better and more accurate. Yes, you do have learn something new (which is the real problem - change!!!!). You no longer pop the hood when gassing up (those days are limited as well) to check the oil. I have checked oil dipsticks in subfreezing weather and will not miss it. Sitting in my car, checking in the morning before you start the car with a cup of joe in my hand is just fine with me.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea. I guess I'd only tried to seek info on the oil level (relatively soon) after I started the car or soon after I had shut the car off. Two questions 1) How many hours is "several" hours? 2) And what are you scrolling through? I must just keep missing it because I'm not seeing anything. I recall something on the iPhone app when I had that service (it's since expired) but I don't recall if oil level was among the things (and if it were, then the only indication was a green "check mark".

·
Registered
93 Posts
This thread has notes on tire rotation including Volvo's TSB on why they don't recommend it.
(I still rotate, I think most people will):

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...g-your-tires&p=1593917&viewfull=1#post1593917
I read the thread (from 2010) -- does anyone know the number of the TSB for this? I wouldn't mind reading it. A quick google check doesn't turn anything up. Maybe it's too recent? I used to be able to find all the old BMW TSB's online (and before that on disc).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts