SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the rear shocks are shot and thinking of replacing them with the Bilstein Heavy Duty. Now I have a XC90 2.5T so does that come with the self leveling Nivomat? Are there any drawbacks to replacing with non-self leveling shocks? I just can't fathom how a monotube shock can self-level or be effective a leveling with any considerable weight without the benefit of air suspensions with a built in compressor.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The nivomat's may have been an option on your vehicle. Someone else will have to tell you how to identify them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The nivomats are fantastic but expensive. They use oil and a couple of valves to self level. If you have them, you will have to replace the springs if you elect to go the standard shock route.

We routinely fill up our V8 with three kids, camping gear and a canoe. The back end drops about 3 inches. Drive a mile and the nivomat shock raises it back up.

How do you know you have bad shocks?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting cupping in the rear tires and when I push down on the rear tailgate the rebound is more than 1.5x. Plus I have 130K and it's still has the original shocks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cupping is a good indicator. If you have a 7 seat model, it probably has nivomat shocks. Give your dealer a call with the vin to see what's installed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you get under the car and look at the rear shocks you will see a sticker that will indicate if the shock is a Nivomat.

As someone else already said, if you have seven seats then you have Nivomats.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I do have the 7 seater. Is there any harm replacing the nivomat with hd bilstein other than losing the self leveling feature?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes, you cannot just swap shocks.

The nivomat uses a lessor rate spring as it provides some of the support for the rear. To replace the nivomats, you would need to replace the springs with a normal or non-nivomat system springs and then install the hd bilsteins.

Not really any cheap options available. Maybe used nivomats from a junkyard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts