SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I want to thank you all again for your help. This time i ask for your thoughts and opinions as i am ready to order the 2nd round of mods and would like to do what ever preventitive maintinence necisary.

My 2007 S60 2.5T AWD w/ 71,000 KMs, (17" pegs, EST Catback) has had regular oil changes at our local Volvo dealership every 5000 KMs since it was purchased in Feb 2007. Besides that i have recently changed the engine air filter and cabin air filter. What other maintinence should i be doing now and in the near future?

Some issues i have had:
over the last 6 months my headlight sprayers have not worked. A mechanic told me they are pressure driven. i am not sure if it is a fuse or the pump. Any thoughts / opinions?

About 2 months ago I had bought a set of 17" RTX peg replicas. I had a Kal Tire here mount them on my 10,000 KMs Pirelli P6+. The balacing was so awful the car would shake in the front and the back @ any speed above 50 KMs/h. After about a week of making phone calls they sent the job out to a very reputable local shop @ no charge. there is no issue now.

over the last month I have noticed a odd air chopping squeaking sound comming from the front tires, but only when coasting @ about 30-60 KMs/h and only when the wheels are slightly turned. The sound seems to come from the left tire when turning right and the rigth tire then turning left. it is not a very lound sound, you cant hear it when the windows are up. Thoughts and opinions on how to fix this?

That is really the only issues i have had at all. every day i own this car i love it more and more.

Mods: This week
Snabb Turbo Intake Pipe
EST Air Intake System
OBX Downpipe
Elevate Hood Grille
Thoughts, and Opinions? Anything i should be preparing for?

In the next year i will be wanting to do RICA Tuner, Blue Power Head Unit, Brakes, Calipers, and suspension.

Thanks again guys, Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Mods: This week
Snabb Turbo Intake Pipe
EST Air Intake System
OBX Downpipe
Elevate Hood Grille
Thoughts, and Opinions? Anything i should be preparing for?
Yes
Yes
Yes
Meh, no gains really, looks a little ricey in my opinion, plus it allows water in the engine bay if you leave it open

Tune it once you get these things on, and remember when you get a tune you also need to upgrade your CBV so you can sustain the higher boost levels.

Prepare: Snabb is a pain to install for the first time, just take your time and go slow. Downpipe-turbo bolts are a pain to get off, use PB blaster and a hammer to break them loose. EST intake is straight forward.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will there be a issue if i am driving around with the Snabb Turbo Intake Pipe, EST Air Intake System, and OBX Downpipe, without a tune and CBV?

I had no idea i would be needing to upgrade my CBV what should i be looking for? any recomendations? what exactly needs to be done?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
you dont need to upgrade the CBV, i used my stock one on my 16T for about 8 years on my T5 with Stage III and never saw a problem. Lunch_Box for me, first get a DP and TUNE, then worry about intake and exhaust, those mods will not do much like a tune. Call ARD, he can give you nice price on flash.

regards,

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
you dont need to upgrade the CBV, i used my stock one on my 16T for about 8 years on my T5 with Stage III and never saw a problem. Lunch_Box for me, first get a DP and TUNE, then worry about intake and exhaust, those mods will not do much like a tune. Call ARD, he can give you nice price on flash.

regards,
16T's CBV is stronger than the 14T's, the 14T's will struggle to hold more than 12psi of boost while a tune will run you at 15-16psi.

OP: You are basically doing what I am doing to my car, I have put on nearly every bolt on modification I can to my car to improve it's engine performance, and now I am waiting to order/install the tune. In my mind I wouldn't want to buy a tune for a certain price, slap on the supporting mods, and then pay for a stage II tune or have it retuned. I know I'm going stage II anyways so why not put the support in first. Build a foundation and work from there, i've tried both ways now and believe me when I say that the supporting mods first will give you peace of mind while daily driving.

But everyone is different, some people would prefer to go the other way, as long as the end result is a stage II then I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
16T's CBV is stronger than the 14T's, the 14T's will struggle to hold more than 12psi of boost while a tune will run you at 15-16psi.

OP: You are basically doing what I am doing to my car, I have put on nearly every bolt on modification I can to my car to improve it's engine performance, and now I am waiting to order/install the tune. In my mind I wouldn't want to buy a tune for a certain price, slap on the supporting mods, and then pay for a stage II tune or have it retuned. I know I'm going stage II anyways so why not put the support in first. Build a foundation and work from there, i've tried both ways now and believe me when I say that the supporting mods first will give you peace of mind while daily driving.

But everyone is different, some people would prefer to go the other way, as long as the end result is a stage II then I'm happy.
This ^^

He's modded 2 P2s in just over a year & has picked up lots of info on the way.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts

Yes but def. is not something that need to be done before the other parts, i would suggest to get an intake than cbv, etc. I sold tons of BSR stage II to people with 2.4T and 2.5T and we never replaced the cbv. also we didnt see any boost issues for all this years.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yes but def. is not something that need to be done before the other parts, i would suggest to get an intake than cbv, etc. I sold tons of BSR stage II to people with 2.4T and 2.5T and we never replaced the cbv. also we didnt see any boost issues for all this years.
I'd at least recommend replacing it simply because if you're sticking with a stock, you're dealing with a varying amount of miles and the added boost might be the kick it needs to kill the CBV.

It's pretty easy to do and it's relatively cheap. Yeah it can wait. But why take the risk? lol

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'd definitely suggest doing the snabb intake and upgraded CBV at the same time. The CBV will eventually fail, especially if you have long cold winters. The constant freezing and super heating of the rubber will lead to cracking, which is what I assume happened to the 3 year old CBV in my 2.5T. In my mind it's just something worth replacing while you're doing the intake, it'll give you peace of mind and you won't ever have to go back and take it off (if you get the metal Forge CBV).

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I'd do the downpipe when you tune for it, yes you can run without a tune with lots of mods but it's not going to feel right or run right........

I'd do a cheap cone filter, obx dp and rica tune first. you can add the fancy EST heatshields and unneccesary forged cbv when you want but they don't make near the difference in performance or tuning needs as the DP.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I agree....after you see the power from a tune, dp and intake the smile will be always in your face lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts