SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its time for a first service ima little over at about 8200 miles and iv had one oil change before and i keep hearing talk about synthetic oil what are its advantages, what kind shoudl i buy, and how many quarts, and do i have to bring my own synthetic to the dealer to have them do it or can i just ask them for synthetic and they will do it?

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: time for first service (chewyjr15)

Most dealers will install full synthetic if you ask for it. The owner's manual even mentions this. Be sure you ask exactly what they will use, the response may vary.

You can save some money by buying your own, but I don't recommend it unless you have a specific reason. It's a pain for you, and not necessarily much cheaper. Give them 6 quarts if you do, the engine takes a little more but you can (and should) top it off after driving a bit.

Tom.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: (chewyjr15)

Castrol Syntec is a synthetic blend, not pure synthetic. That's why I advised you to ask them what they used. You did ask, didn't you?

Tom.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: (richarded)

Bring your own regardless of brand. My dealer wanted $100 extra for synthetic. Way cheaper to pick it up at Costco, WalMart or wherever. (The service guy did admit it was a ludicrous amount but couldn't/wouldn't budge on the price.)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (steverino)

just had the service done they use mobile 1 synthetic and they cahrged me 45 bucks for it which is a good price, also go tmy windows tinted not at the dealer and man they look sweet other than that im going in on tuesday for the fuel line recall

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: (chewyjr15)

Decent deal. Of course, they save using their own 6 quarts, but that's about what you pay in most retail. Walmart is less, about $30/6qts around here.

Tom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts