SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am need for some new brakes.. No need for anything too fancy (parts) I will be doing it myself so be saving some cash. Any tips etc? Also where should I get the parts.. Rotors and pads....
Also dont mind spending a little extra for some better parts

Lastly I need a reccomendation of a pheneumatic lug thingy. I have a compressor and tired of doing everything by hand

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Time for brakes (evansholly)

Quote, originally posted by evansholly »
So I am need for some new brakes.. No need for anything too fancy (parts) I will be doing it myself so be saving some cash. Any tips etc? Also where should I get the parts.. Rotors and pads....
Also dont mind spending a little extra for some better parts.

If this is your first replacement, you may not need new rotors. Regardless, the OEM pads/rotors are very good IMO so I would stick with them. You can shop Boston Volvo, Viva Performance, or Brentwood Volvo for some discounting. If you want to go aftermarket, IPD all the way. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: Time for brakes (MagoonR)

A good low-dust street/performance pad might be good for you. I've had great success with EBC Green Stuff pads on my XC90, very low dust, rotor friendly and no squeeling, don't know if they have'm for the R though.

Lots of guys here love the Porterfield pads for performance and low dust but they are expensive.

Personally, I'd avoid cermaic pads since they are usually noisey and not rotor friendly.

If you replace your rotors consider the anodized sloted rotors from EST or if you get OEM paint the hats with high-temp silver paint to keep them looking good for longer.

Check here:
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/...60-br

LTA

·
Registered
478 Posts
Re: Time for brakes (MagoonR)

Does your stearing wheel sutter when you step on the brake's ? if not, Magoon is correct, you probably dont need rotor's. . . .the dealer can give you the thickness spec, if you'd like to check just to be sure. . . .or if your thinking of having them turned. There relatively easy, Just did brake's on the wife's 01 T5. . . 2 - 7mm Allen bolt's held the caliper, & a large set of plier's, use the old pad to push the piston back into the caliper. Not sure on the R, as I only have 14K on mine. . . .Do short push stroke's on your brake pedal when your done to take up the space between pad's & the rotor.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Time for brakes (Scania)

Doing the brakes on the R are stupid easy. Search for some of the old threads, but here it is in a nutshell.

1) Jack up car
2) Remove wheel
3) Use hammer and small awl / nailset to push out retaining pin. Catch spring so it doesn't fly away.
4) Use same to remove second pin.
5) Pull out pads
6) Clean everything
7) Use large screwdriver and towel (protect caliper) to retract piston (approved Volvo method)
8) Lube new pads. Install shims unless anti-vibration dampers are present.
9) Install new pads. Be careful of orientation (arrow points forward).
10) Install one pin with hammer / set.
11) Install spring...hold in place an insert second pin.
12) Push second pin home with hammer / set.
13) If necessary, bleed brakes
14) Re-install wheel.

Oh, and use OEM unless you're tracking.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (evansholly)

Any help with a phenmatic tool or should I just run to the nearest autozone?

A good air powered impact wrench ain't cheap. You can get ones for about $100 at Home Depot, and if you're only using it to change tires occasionally you should be able to get away with it.

(It's pneumatic, not phenmatic by the way).

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by Needsdecaf »

A good air powered impact wrench ain't cheap. You can get ones for about $100 at Home Depot, and if you're only using it to change tires occasionally you should be able to get away with it.

(It's pneumatic, not phenmatic by the way).

True and you can also try an electric/rechargable impact gun but you should still use a torque wrench to properly torque the lug nuts to 102 ft. lbs. (140Nm) as per pg. 126 in the OM. Problem with the cheaper impact guns is they don't have enough torque to loosen the lug nuts, nonetheless those cheaper guns can still help speed up the job of getting the wheels off/on.

LTA

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should have complained about squeaky brakes a while ago. They change the pads as part of the service bulletin. Probably too late for that now on you 04, but maybe not. My 2 year old 05 was just done n/c.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just bought the car used. Thanks all about the help sorry about the spelling I was a few beers deep and didnt care about spelling much.. I will probably be putting the EBC greens.... I dont know though its a v70R.. The greens are supposed to be used for smaller cars no? Instead use the reds for a larger heavy car. Which I have on my saab and love so far although they are a little louder. Matched that with some cross drilled rotors mmmmm. Well anyways its my moms vovlo and I will probably just be changing the pads this time

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Done and boston volvo here I come
Whats the difference in all those impact wrenches. Whats with 3/8 and 1" etc... So I cant get one for X<$50 to do the job seems there are a bunch out there.. ? Or it just wont loosen up the lugs and have the final torque needed?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Timely question...

This is timely, I'm coming up on 37.5K miles and want to know how to tell whether I need new pads. The brakes are working fine, but how do I tell if the pads are getting too worn/thin? I'll be taking it in for the 37.5K service soon and figure I should have the dealer install new OEM pads, but would prefer to make an evaluation myself before taking it in.

Also, I assume pads aren't covered by the 0-45K mile Volvo service plan (stupid question, I know, but I'll ask it anyway
)

THanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pads will squeel.. Thats a natural thing to tell you that they are worn.. Its a built in feature. Also they should tell you the thickness remaing and tell you that you have 20% left etc. You could look by taking your wheel off and looking at the pads and see for yourself how thin they are. Its tough though for a newb (not saying you are).. But if you dont know what new ones should look like than you would have no idea what your lookin at

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

But if you dont know what new ones should look like than you would have no idea what your lookin at

Zigactly...any idea what the original pad depth is?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually I have never even taken off a v70r wheel
....... I am just saying from doing my saab brake job experience couple months ago.. Sry

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Timely question... (icebiker)

Quote, originally posted by icebiker »
This is timely, I'm coming up on 37.5K miles and want to know how to tell whether I need new pads. The brakes are working fine, but how do I tell if the pads are getting too worn/thin?

Look between the spokes of the Pegs and visually inspect the pad depth? You might need a flashlight if the lighting isn't great.

Quote, originally posted by icebiker »
Also, I assume pads aren't covered by the 0-45K mile Volvo service plan (stupid question, I know, but I'll ask it anyway
)

What is this 0-45K mile service plan you speak of? The 04/05 had the free 3yr/30K mile service plan for oil changes, inspections, filters, etc but never for wear and tear items such as brakes. Besides, you're over mileage.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Just bought the car used. Thanks all about the help sorry about the spelling I was a few beers deep and didnt care about spelling much.. I will probably be putting the EBC greens.... I dont know though its a v70R.. The greens are supposed to be used for smaller cars no? Instead use the reds for a larger heavy car. Which I have on my saab and love so far although they are a little louder. Matched that with some cross drilled rotors mmmmm. Well anyways its my moms vovlo and I will probably just be changing the pads this time

EBC greenstuff should be fine, heck, I have them on my XC90 which is larger&heavier! Don't know if they make greenstuff for the R, did you check?

OEM are fine, unless you want less break dust (don't you?) Greenstuff make way less dust.

Done and boston volvo here I come
Whats the difference in all those impact wrenches. Whats with 3/8 and 1" etc... So I cant get one for X<$50 to do the job seems there are a bunch out there.. ? Or it just wont loosen up the lugs and have the final torque needed?

3/8" or 1"? You sure? Those sound like chuck sizes for drills
Most impact guns are 1/2, to match up with the 19mm socket you'll need. And yes, the cheap guns won't be able loosen the lugs are get them to the proper torque. Mine won't do it but that's fine, I loosed with a big + wrench and then speed them off with the gun. Then I speed them on with the gun (after carefully mating the threads first) and then torque to spec with a torque wrench.

LTA

·
Registered
779 Posts
Re: (LTA)

Just received these Ferodo pads in the mail (my 2nd set), $311 to my door. I will install them myself.

Quote,

Hi Jesse,
Thanks for the interest!

FRP3067H FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS $186/set
FCP1348H FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS $115/set

Call for a shipping quote.

For ordering, or for more information, you can reach me directly at:
800-733-8380.

Best Regards,
Edwin Robinson.

http://www.RaceShopper.com
1-800-733-8380