SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day has come that I need to replace the battery in my '05 XC70. It's the wife's daily and she's reporting some electrical anomalies that are usually (hopefully) attributed to a dying battery. I'll have to check the date but I believe it's the original.

Anyone have suggestions on if I should go through the dealer or get an aftermarket? If aftermarket does anyone have suggestions on where to get one and what model/part number(s)?

I plan on replacing the car in the next year so do I go with the more expensive dealer option or go aftermarket?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I got one last month from Sam's Club.. was ~100. Duracell 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The day has come that I need to replace the battery in my '05 XC70. It's the wife's daily and she's reporting some electrical anomalies that are usually (hopefully) attributed to a dying battery. I'll have to check the date but I believe it's the original.

Anyone have suggestions on if I should go through the dealer or get an aftermarket? If aftermarket does anyone have suggestions on where to get one and what model/part number(s)?

I plan on replacing the car in the next year so do I go with the more expensive dealer option or go aftermarket?

Thanks for any insight.
I've had good luck with Bosch batteries. I have one in my S60 that has about 5 years on it now and I just tested it and it still tests "good." It's rated for 760 CCA and it currently tests at 750 CCA.

I have had bad luck with O'reilly autoparts store brand batteries. One died after lest than 1.5 years on the wife's car.

If you're not sure if yours is dead or not, get one of these. They are easy to use and take the guess work out of testing batteries: https://www.amazon.com/BA9-40-1200-...attery+tester&qid=1563807975&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I checked my wife's O'reilly's AGM battery with the multimeter and it read 12.9 V. But when I hooked up the battery tester, it tested bad. It flat out tells you, "battery OK", or "battery bad" and also told me that it had only 240 CCA when the battery is rated for 800 CCA. The tester at the store agreed with mine and we got a new battery for free.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Get a largest AGM battery that can fit. I run one for like 7 years now...

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Certainly check the OEM option if they're that reasonable (and the first one lasted a long time) but if you're planning on selling the car then any old battery specced for the car would work. You're not going to get any additional value when you sell the car just because you put a high end battery in it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
17,317 Posts
Volvo. $131 and a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
17,317 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Volvo. $131 and a 5 year warranty.
WOW!!
This might be the only battery left with anything more than a 1 year warranty!

OP, if your dealer won't play, I got an Interstate installed back in 2013, and its still doing great.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
With a P2 car go for the best and biggest you can afford.
My one is 850A starting.
These cars are hard on the battery, and can give a whole load of problems with a poor battery.
Also get the alternator checked out, remember theses can delay charge starting fo a few seconds when starting the engine at times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts