SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to reassemble the front suspension on my '64 Amazon and would like to know how much torque to use on various nuts. The Volvo factory manual gives very little info on this, and the Haynes manual is confusing, with contradictory specs on some applications -- for example, in the text it says to tighten the big nut on the long bolt for the lower wishbone bushings to 40-45 lb-ft, but in the specifications it says 100-130 lb-ft. Do any of you know the recommended torques for: lower wishbone bushing nut (9/16 NC 12), upper wishbone bushing nuts (1/2 NC 13), lower balljoint castle nut, upper balljoint clamp nut (5/16 NC 18), lower balljoint attaching nuts (3/8 NC 16)), tie rod end castle nuts, upper bushing U-bolt nuts (3/8 NC 16), and upper balljoint attaching nuts (5/16 NC 18))? All the nuts except the castle nuts are self-locking, with nylon inserts. Any help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've found that the Haynes and factory manuals agree on a couple of torque specs. The U-bolt nuts are 14-18 lb-ft, and the tie rod castle nuts are 23-27 lb-ft. Still confused about the rest.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
You can use google to get generic torque values for each hardware size, based on the hardware quality. Generally that's what an engineer will use anyway when deciding what bolt size to use in the first place. Assume grade 5 on suspension hardware and look up the values.

On the flip side, just nice and tight is what most mechanics have always done.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Amazing how my ride quality improved after replacing the lower wishbone bushes. They were beyond perished and may have been the ones that came with the car.

I don't worry much about torque specs other than with engine components and lug nuts. Nice and tight as Lloyd wisely wrote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts